Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JLouisville  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 3:05:05 PM(UTC)
JLouisville

Groups: Registered

Hi,

First - many thanks to all of the helpful posts that helped me troubleshoot the problem on our dishwasher (GE Profile PDWT480R10SS). I have a new keypad on order and had a few questions on replacement:

[LIST=1]
  • Any tips on peeling off the top sticky keypad?
  • Any tips for cleaning where the old sticky keypad used to be stuck?
  • Any tips on installing the keypad? I'm worried I'll get it stuck in the wrong place and not be able to move it or break it if I need to move it. If there is a repair manual excerpt that would be most helpful.[/LIST]Many thanks - only 80% sure if this is the problem but the part was cheap enough to take a shot at replacement myself.
  • Sponsor
    See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
    #2 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 4:26:23 AM(UTC)
    denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
    [COLOR="Blue"]Any tips on peeling off the top sticky keypad?[/COLOR]
    Sometimes warming it up with a hair dryer will loosen the glue making it easier to remove

[COLOR="Blue"]Any tips for cleaning where the old sticky keypad used to be stuck?[/COLOR]
    Try isopropyl alcohol. If that does nothing then try Varsol/mineral spirits.
    Just to be sure that the solvent will not eat the plastic try it on a small area first.

[COLOR="Blue"]Any tips on installing the keypad?[/COLOR]
    Install it with the paper backing on it first.
    Then when you know all is good, peel off the paper backing and install it permanently.

Below is a link to a manual although it is for different models than yours it may have some useful info as they are the same general type of unit as yours.
    You will have to join the site and be logged in to be able to download the manual.
    http://appliancejunk.com...wnloads;sa=view;down=319
    THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
    JLouisville  
    #3 Posted : Friday, March 7, 2014 2:59:39 PM(UTC)
    JLouisville

Groups: Registered

Well replacing the dishwasher keypad/ touchpad/ controls seemed to do the trick - ran one wash cycle through and everything seemed fine. Many thanks for the advice. The ispopropyl alcohol definitely softened the glue, but I had to rub it a bit to get it off - the key is patience.

For the record the symptoms of my keypad failure were:

• Start button and a couple others were dead
    • A few worked and I could even change settings
    • One time only, pushing hard on the start would get it to work, but eventually that did not work
    • This seemed to fail all at once - not gradual or intermittent

It failed after only 25 months of service, but we bought a floor model so I'm guessing the keypad had plenty of button presses the year or so it sat in the showroom - was probably pre-stressed.

Discovered one odd thing when I opened the door - the mounting point on the control module was broken (may need to do another post :))
    Quick Reply Show Quick Reply