Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tmp01  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:07:28 PM(UTC)
tmp01

Groups: Registered

Leaking dishwasher fdb1050rec1 . Is leaking due to cracked brass nuts that affix heating element. I have ordered the parts online but can’t seem to remove the electrical connection to access the nuts for replacement. Do I just use brute force. Have tried needle nose pliers.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 1:57:29 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Sometimes wiggling them from side to side while pulling down works.

If there is enough room on the elements connector, grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers. Then take a flat screwdriver and place it between the pliers and the connector, then twist the screwdriver forcing the female connector off the element connector.

The above also works using the bottom of the tub instead of the pliers. You just have to get something that is the correct thickness so twisting/prying the screwdriver works. This also prevents damage to the tub.

Or as you said just brute force if nothing else works. Just be careful that you do not pull the wire out of the female connector.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
tmp01  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 7:52:50 AM(UTC)
tmp01

If I am understanding you clearly I would need to cut off the plastic cover that covers the elements connector in order to grab it with needle nose pliers.

I don't believe I understand how I can use the bottom of the tub.
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 8, 2014 8:29:09 AM(UTC)
denman

The covers are usually held onto the metal connector by a small tab on the back of the connector. If you push a small (tiny) screwdriver in there you might be able to pull the cover down and off.

It is hard to explain how to use the tub.
The idea is to get to the back side of the metal connector and then pry it off.

I do not know how you could cut off the plastic cover without damaging the metal connector.

If you cannot release the cover then you really have no choice but to pull down on the cover and hope the little tab busts without damaging anything else.
gee51  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2014 3:53:56 PM(UTC)
gee51

We noticed leak in our basement which apparently was coming from our dishwasher. As we started checking the obvious . Door not closed properly, float stuck etc. We suspected something in one of the seals and were ready to pull the machine. I decided to feel around the tank/bowl to check for a bad seal I noticed
two small depressions below the heating element. As I felt with my finger I felt
the depression give way and voila a small hole had developed. this was likely due to something metal coming in contact with the element and the plastic material
weakening the material and in time penetrating the material. It was not obvious
by visual inspection alone. Nonetheless the bowl needs repair or replacement. the machine is maybe 5 years old. We'll try an epoxy and keep a close eye. Anyone else have this experience? It may be a good argument for a non-plastic
material. I have known of at least two experiences with material causing fires where the float may have been stuck and the heating element causing an issue or
fire.
denman  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 4:33:33 AM(UTC)
denman

Getting something to stick permanently to a plastic is very difficult especially with the heat and battering it takes from the water.

So if your epoxy does not work you could try the following.
Get a stainless screw and washer
Use high temperature RTV (basically silicone but can withstand higher temperatures. often used for seals on engines).
Put some over the hole and then install the screw/washer to make a seal.
Depending on the size of the hole and/or screw head diameter you may not need the washer.

Another way which is better but more of a pain is to use a bolt and nut.
With or without washers. Then you can use RTV on both sides of the tub and never have to worry about the screw coming loose.

I would also recommend the following:

It is a good idea to put a drip pan under dishwashers. Something like the plastic trays they use for boots etc. will do. They have a lip all the way around but it is usually low enough that the tray will fit under your unit and cover most of where the water may leak.
You then cut out part of the lip on the kick plate side. Now it you have a leak it will drain out onto the floor in front of the dishwasher so you know there is a problem. Beats finding out that your floor has rotted out if there is a slow leak from the unit.

I also make a small tray out of tin foil for under the water valve as this is usually outside the main unit tray.

In my place the dishwasher is above the utility room so I have a drain on the tray. If we see water from the drain tube in the utility room I know I have to check the dishwasher.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply