Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sam Hobbs  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 1:43:10 PM(UTC)
Sam Hobbs

Groups: Registered

Is there anything showing the correct way to connect the wires to the control board?

I think there is a total of six wire bundles for the control board. There are two that have just two wires; the fuse is one. There is another one that, when looking at the picture of the product in the web site, is in the middle of the control board and at the top. It has two blue wires.

I see nothing indicating which wire goes where for the fuse. I hope it does not matter.

The other pair of wires lock in with a plastic latch, and I think I am putting it in correctly but I am not sure. I am putting it in with the wires going from the top of the picture; in other words, going from the dishwasher side. The ends of the wires are pointing toward the exterior of the dishwasher.

The dishwasher is doing nothing; no lights come on.

What happened is that, before we replaced the control board and door switch, we called the Sears repairman to fix the dishwasher. He said it would cost over $500 to fix the dishwasher. Instead, we obtained the control board and door switch from Appliance Parts Pros and I replaced them both myself. The dishwasher was working great.

Then my mother wanted to know if the old control board was still good. She wanted to now if the Sears repairman said it would cost over $500 when in fact it might have cost less than $20 for just the door switch. So we put the old control board in. Now I cannot get either to work.

This is very frustrating and embarrasing.

I realize that, based on symptoms, I should test the door switch. I did not remove the door switch since it was working so I want to first ensure I have the wires to the control board connected properly.

Or no, since the lights do not come on, I guess that means the door switch is not the problem.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

rickgburton  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:15:16 PM(UTC)
rickgburton

Groups: Expert

That's the first thing to check, door switch. It's kind of hard to miswire the control. The white plastic connectors will only go on one way and when it comes to two wires like the fuse it won't matter which one goes where. Look behind the lower access panel or taped to the bottom of the tub for an envelope with the wiring diagram and tech sheet inside.
Sam Hobbs  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:24:39 PM(UTC)
Sam Hobbs

Please believe me that the white plastic connector goes both ways. I am surprised but it does.

There is no wiring diagram on or in the device.

If it were the door switch, I am nearly certain that the lights would still come on; it just would not do something when we push start. That is what was happening before we got the new door switch.
rickgburton  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:54:31 PM(UTC)
rickgburton

If the door switch is bad nothing will come on. Same with the fuse by the control board. Here's a block diagram of the main power supply, TCO, and door switches.
rickgburton attached the following image(s):
Snapshot_1.jpeg
Sam Hobbs  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 8:25:28 AM(UTC)
Sam Hobbs

It is working. I am not sure why it was not working.

For the benefit of others in the future, it works when connected the way I described. My best guess for why it did not work is that I probably did not push the connector in far enough. I probably would have pushed it in better if I was sure I was doing it properly.

Rick (rickgburton), I assure you that I was able to put the connection in both ways. I would not have asked about it if it went in only one way. I think it will help others in the future to know the answer to my question. I asked how to put the connector in.

Also, I am nearly certain that the lights in the panel do come on even if the door switch is bad. A few weeks ago when we got a new control board but not a new door switch, I tried to determine if the door swich was the problem. The only way I was able to determine that the door switch was bad is that I heard noises when I bypassed the switch. The panel lights were on without bypassing the door switch but with a bad switch.
rickgburton  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 9:33:47 AM(UTC)
rickgburton

Originally Posted by: Sam Hobbs Go to Quoted Post
I assure you that I was able to put the connection in both ways.

You might be right. I've never tried to twist the ribbon and put it in up side down.

Originally Posted by: Sam Hobbs Go to Quoted Post
Also, I am nearly certain that the lights in the panel do come on even if the door switch is bad.

If you look at the diagram I made, you'll see L1 (Hot) goes through one door switch and N (Neutral) goes through the other door switch. If one of the door switches was open, nothing would turn on including the LED's or indicator lights.
Sam Hobbs  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 10:14:25 AM(UTC)
Sam Hobbs

Originally Posted by: rickgburton Go to Quoted Post
You might be right. I've never tried to twist the ribbon and put it in up side down.

Just for clarification, I am not talking about the ribbon for the panel lights. I am talking about the connection that has just two wires, and it is not the fuse. All other connections have more than two wires.

I trust you that you are able to use schematics and are experienced with diagnosing and repairing appliances. You are much more experienced than I am. I am still unsure of the effect of the door switch on the panel lights and if I am wrong then I hope my description does not waste other people's time in the future.
rickgburton  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 1:08:04 PM(UTC)
rickgburton

If you're referring to connector P11-1 and P11-3 it doesn't matter which way that goes on. Think of the door switch as the switch on your lamp. Door open (switch off), no lights.
Sam Hobbs  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 2:27:57 PM(UTC)
Sam Hobbs

I did not ask about the door switch. Forget about the door switch; it was not the problem and therefore it is not relevant.

As usual, when asking questions, I regret having provided too much information. I have, in the past, seen many thousands of questions in forums for programmers. I am often frustrated when people asking questions do not provide enough information. So when I ask a question, I try to provide all relevant information. And that often distracts the discussion. Forget about the door switch; it is an irrelevant distraction.

I do not know what P11-1 and P11-3 are. My question is how to determine things like that but you are not telling me that; you are referring to something but I do not know what. I am asking how to find the diagrams that you are looking at.

I am talking about the connection in the middle at the top of the following image:

UserPostedImage
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply