Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Travst  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2008 5:25:32 AM(UTC)
Travst

Groups: Registered

My dishwasher makes an irregular whirring noise during every stage of the wash. I've checked various forums and read about impeller pumps, debris in parts, choppers and the GE broken fan problem. I'm prepared to tackle the repair, but I have no documentation on repair other than the diagrams that are posted on various sites. I'm assuming that I'll need to disconnect and pull the dishwasher out and flip it over to access the parts I need to inspect. I would appreciate any input that you experts may have on this subject. I can build a car from the ground up, but this is my first dishwasher project.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2008 6:56:02 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Pull the cover off the pump in the back of the tub and check for material by the pump inlet screen. If you find nothing, you may have to pull the dishwasher out.
Also, pull the kick panel and check the cooling fan for the motor, may be making the noise, if so, the motor can be run like that and you could add insulation to keep the noise down.
Travst  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2008 9:02:58 AM(UTC)
Travst

Groups: Registered

I cleaned the debris screen with no change to the sound. I pulled the access panel and there is a small leak under the motor.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 1, 2008 9:45:46 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If it wasn't leaking too long, you can pull the motor and replace the seal inside the pump, comes as a kit, but you must check the motor bearing for wear and if ok, oil it with non-detergent oil.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply