Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KNorkin  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 3, 2012 7:24:40 AM(UTC)
KNorkin

Groups: Registered

Situation: Dishwasher is dead. I believe a recent power surge damaged some electrical component. I was advised by tech support chat yesterday that either the door switch(es) or control board are most likely the affected components. A friend of mine is bringing over a multimeter tomorrow (Thursday 10/4) so we can test the switches. If they test good, then I assume it's the control board gone bad. (Unless one of you thinks it's the control PANEL instead).

Question/problem: Last night I turned the power off to the machine (at the circuit breaker), removed the door liner/panel and located the door switches. I removed one switch from the door latch assembly. For the life of me, I can't unplug it from the socket at the ends of the wires leading to it. It's in really tight. Is it safe to grip both the switch and socket with tools and yank as hard as I can? Is that the way to unplug them?

Also, I see this in the instructions about removing the switches: "Disconnect wires from the Vent and Dispenser Wax Motors before pulling the Inner Door Panel away from the Dishwasher." I'm not sure what that's referring to. Any help?

Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 3, 2012 11:18:31 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

Don't yank those wires. You may have to push little locking tabs before pulling the contacts off.
Don't worry about the wax motors as long as you are not taking out the inner door (Don't have to).
Before checking the switch open the toe panel and open small junction box on the right.See if wires are properly connected there.

Simon.
KNorkin  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 3, 2012 11:30:27 AM(UTC)
KNorkin

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the guidance, Simon. I was just looking at the switch and socket again, this time with reading glasses on, and I could see that there's some type of locking mechanism. I'll need to make doubly sure I've got the power cut off before I use a screwdriver to pry the contact/prong from the socket.

I'll also check the connection as you suggest, but I don't see any reason why that should have changed. The dishwasher was working fine one day, then dead the next.

If the switches test OK, can you offer an opinion as to whether the failed component is more likely to be the control board/circuit board or the overal control panel/touch panel? Can these also be tested with a multimeter?

Thanks.

-Ken
Simon / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 3, 2012 2:01:08 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

Most likely it's the control board. Check if there is 120VAC at the black and white wires comes from the door switches to the board. If it is - replace the board Part number: W10218837
Part number: W10218837

Good luck.

Simon.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply