Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
agast  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2012 12:13:19 PM(UTC)
agast

Groups: Registered

Hello, Im new here.
I have an interesting problem. The Frigidaire dishwasher is not pumping water at full pressure and quits running at times. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Here is the scenario.

First off the unit started flashing a PF code on the display at times like when the power goes off but all the clocks in the house were not flashing as if its just the dishwasher loosing power...
Then it started stalling during the wash cycle and I think displayed the PF code as well.
I recently replaced the latch and handle but that shouldn't cause power failures Id think..? Though the door doesn't close as tightly as before, but it doesn't leak anywhere.
Then it started running with little or no pressure. I clicked the latch open on the door so the machine would run with the door open. It fills with water normally, starts to cycle with a little water squirting a couple inches out of the bottom sprayer only then would loose all pressure and stop squirting. The pump runs what sounds like normally. Thinking the pump was clogged. I took the screens out and the inside impeller cover off, it was all clean, the impeller looked good and turned freely.. I ran the unit again and stuck my finger in the opening to the impeller with the cover back on. The impeller spins but I can stop it easily with little pressure pushing on the center of the shaft and it turns at maybe 100 rpm. Are there speeds controlled by the computer?
My first reaction was to replace the pump motor, but with the PF codes and shut downs, I wonder if the control board isnt sending the right signals. I turned off the power to it, like a reboot for 10 seconds but no change.
It does empty after the cycle, fyi. Thoughts? Testing the voltage to the motor? Continuity on the motor? If I have to buy both a motor and a controller, It may be better to buy a new dishwasher. Well thanks so much for your time and reading this long post.. :o
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

agast  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:20:04 PM(UTC)
agast

I did notice the water level in the unit was only 1/4 inch above the 12" round metal filter screen thats on the bottom. So the low pressure may be from a low water level but the power failures may be separate...
I just read a thread that adding hot water to the tub up to the float switch may verify the pump is ok if it starts washing at normal pressure.
The inlet valve screen may need to be checked or the timer is bad if it stops filling in less than 80-90 seconds... though that was for a different model.
Gene  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2012 5:44:15 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
You may want to measure the voltage to the motor while the control calls for wash. Also check the power cord connections to the dishwasher. It can be loose.

Gene.
agast  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:21:15 AM(UTC)
agast

Thanks, I suppose I just disconnect the leads to the motor. Is it 120v to the motor or is there a transformer that steps down the voltage? Thanks!
Gene  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2012 12:03:06 PM(UTC)
Gene

It should to be about 120 VAC.

Gene.
agast  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2012 11:27:11 AM(UTC)
agast

Hello,
It took a couple days to get to it but I tested the leads going to the pump and it had 120v on the white and blue wires. So I checked the motor terminals for continuity and the white and blue wire terminals had 4 ohms resistance. the green wire terminal had no reading when testing with the other two terminals, the meter did not move. I ran the washer again with the bottom panel removed and the electric motor would buzz and sounded odd like it was laboring. No or little water would come from the spray arm. Also, could the intermittant PF code be due to a motor short?
Thanks again for your input.
Gene  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2012 5:08:24 PM(UTC)
Gene

The motor has to be replaced. It comes as a part of the pump & motor kit. In regards of "PF" error code: did you check the power cord connections?

- The pump & motor kit Part number: 154859501
Part number: 154859501

Gene.
agast  
#8 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2012 5:19:05 PM(UTC)
agast

Hi Gene,
I was unable to get to the power connections, Its in a rental and I only had a little time to get in there over the weekend. After pricing the pump and an inlet valve i am only $80 from buying a new Whirlpool or a Kenmore.. I hear Whirlpool is the brand to buy...? Would love to see a post one what is the brand to buy.
Im now thinking repairing this dishwasher a third time may not be feasible. Its 10 years old. Ive bought my previous parts from App and will continue too when I decide to fix what breaks. Thanks for your feedback.
Gene  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:04:22 PM(UTC)
Gene

You might be right. It's probably not worth to fix it. Whirlpool dishwashers are much better than Frigidaire in my opinion. I would not by Kenmore because you don't know who really made it and it could be another one made by Frigidaire.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply