Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gblentz  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2012 1:14:34 PM(UTC)
gblentz

Groups: Registered

Hello. Our dishwasher went out the other day. I pushed the Auto Clean pad to start it and the display flickered for a second then went black. Tried it again, same thing. I noticed a burning smell so I shut off the breaker and disassembled the door so I could get to the control board. This is what I found:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The blue "boxes" (capacitors?) were initially in place, but loose. I've moved them off to the side to show the damage to the PCB underneath. There's also evidence of a arcing on the back side of the board:

UserPostedImage

Notice too that the solder is pretty much gone from the star pads that the devices were attached to.

I've replaced the bad control board with a refurb that seemed to work fine (passed self-tests with no errors), but after a couple hours I noticed the ozone/burning smell was back. I felt the touch panel in the vicinity of the scorched area of the original control board, and it was warm. I left the door opened and it cooled down, but after I closed the door it started to heat up/smell again. Now, prior to installing it, I noticed that the refurb control board had similar scorching underneath the two larger resistors.

Is this heating normal, or does it indicate a fault somewhere else? Are the blue boxes coming loose/arcing a completely separate issue? I really don't want to blow the control board I just bought. Please help. :(
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.