Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
roncar9  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 10:49:57 AM(UTC)
roncar9

Groups: Registered

I have had my MAYTAG Model #MDBH955AWW dishwasher less than 2 years. Response from the touchpad has progressively deteriorated over the last month: from lights failing to operate while the dishwasher went though its cycles, to a total failure of all touchpad buttons. Now some lights will come on, but no action. Do I assume it is a failure of the touchpad? I don't want to spend $180 for a touchpad. Is there any other option? Are there better dishwashers out there that don't employ the touchpad design? I would prefer the old-fashioned mechanical dials of the GE dishwasher I had that lasted over 20 years, and that its final failure was a deterioration of the inner plastic lining while the mechanical and electrical elements were still operable.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 11:31:23 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

Unless you come across an older unit that even LOOKS like you would want to install it in your home, the days of the mechanical switches and timers are gone. Hefty cost, yes. It may be covered by warranty. But myrecommendation is to replace the touch pad.
denman  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:34:57 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
You may want to try the following.
Unplug the unit
Open it up
Remove the ribbon cable from the keypad to the control board at the control board.
Clean the edge connector.
If it is the type where there is not a connector just the insulation is removed, it can be cleaned with a pencil eraser. Do not use an ink eraser as it is too abrasive.
Check the tracks in the ribbon cable for hairline cracks. A magnifying glass helps here.
Would not hurt to clean the connector on the board. Use electronics contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush. Be gentle and do not reconnect till all the solvent evaporates.
Reconnect everything and give it a try.

Here is a service manual and tech sheet
http://www.servicematters.com/m...ibrary/docs/16021814.pdf
http://www.servicematters.com/m...ibrary/docs/16026393.pdf

Your problem could be a keypad or a control board.
Check for water getting into this area.
Usually it is best to check the keyboard with a meter if it checks out OK then the odds are it is the control board.
Still a bit of a crap shoot.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Thunderwood  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 26, 2009 9:55:59 AM(UTC)
Thunderwood

Thank you Denman, we had a similar problem with this dishwasher and took your advice to clean the connectors and happily it worked. I really didn't want to pay for a new touchpad and/or control board.
tedman  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2010 5:40:49 AM(UTC)
tedman

Did like you said and cleaned the ribbon. So far so good. Thanks again!!
ECBMKPAGE  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 27, 2010 7:03:32 AM(UTC)
ECBMKPAGE

I have had this Maytag MDB8965AWB dishwasher since Oct. 2006. Certain buttons will light up on the display and certain ones do nothing. The delay feature lights up and flashes but you can't hit start. Basically, it doesn't run. I have since found out that there is a recall on the heating element which they will fix for free. I turned the breaker off to avoid any chance of a fire. Will cleaning the ribbon cable work on this model also? They will fix they heating element for free or give a rebate if you purchase a new Maytag. I would like to avoid having to buy a new dishwashe since the previous one lasted 12 years.
herb farm  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 15, 2010 8:42:24 AM(UTC)
herb farm

I have a Maytag dishwasher bought in 2006. It qualifies for the heating element repair but since the touch pad has failed I am looking to replace unless there is a recall on that also!
maytag5031  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 4, 2011 5:49:50 PM(UTC)
maytag5031

I have the model MDB6601AWW (2006) Maytag. It is the 2nd time that the control panel has failed. This time the cost for the panel is $185. I found that pin 6 & pin10 on the circuit board jack where the ribbon cable connects, are the trigger connections for starting, stop & drain, and shut off -- the same functions you would have pushing the start/cancel button. A simple push button switch attached to these pins, did the trick and the dishwasher is functional again. Be careful because the circuit board has the supply voltage for running the motor and the heating element == SO CARE SHOULD BE TAKEN WHEN HANDLING THE BOARD WHEN THE UNIT IS LIVE.

The port connections that the ribbon cable for the touch pad connects to are signal voltage levels and therefore should cause no harm in seeking out the 2 taps which active the micro processor. Finding those 2 connections and shunting them to activate the dishwasher is key to having to buy a new touch pad. I used a small "moment" push switch mounted near the door latch. Once again, look at the ribbon cable jack. The pins are numbered, even on one side and odd on the other. The first number appears on the circuit board next to the jack.

I am posting this because I am sick of the way on junkie Chinese touch pad can ruin an otherwise good running dishwasher. Maytag/Whirlpool needs to wise up, it is problems like this that will be the downfall of their product line and good name. If you get that Maytag running from my advice, donate the $100 ++ you saved by not buying the part, to a charity of your choice.
Loser_Magnet  
#9 Posted : Friday, October 23, 2015 2:10:09 PM(UTC)
Loser_Magnet

I found that once I cleaned up the corrosion on the wire ribbon with Isopropyl Alcohol it worked great for me. After it was dry I used MG Chemicals Silicone Conformal Coating to totally coat the ribbon. This protected it from future corrosion from moisture, has a high working temperature and is flexible.

I had no issues with corrosion for over a year now. Here is the Amazon page of what I used: MG Chemicals 422B Silicone Conformal Coating, 55 ml Liquid Bottle, Clear: Soldering Cleaning Products: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Good luck!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply