Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rlawrence  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2008 5:06:50 AM(UTC)
rlawrence

Groups: Registered

I have a four burner, gas, Thermador cooktop. As soon as the unit is plugged in, all four ignitors start to click. If I turn one, or all, of the burners on, it lights, but the ignitor continues to fire. Right now, I am using the unit by leaving it unplugged and lighting it with a match. Any ideas? Ron
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kawfeeman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2008 6:02:14 AM(UTC)
kawfeeman

Groups: Senior Expert

more than likely one of the switches that are on top of the valves are shorted closed ... plug the unit in, turn one burner on at a time, and see which burner causes the sparking to stop. if you none of the burners being on stops the sparking, there is a possibility that your spark module is being told to send spark due to a shorted wire ... any major spills recently ?
rlawrence  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2008 9:49:07 AM(UTC)
rlawrence

Originally Posted by: kawfeeman Go to Quoted Post
more than likely one of the switches that are on top of the valves are shorted closed ... plug the unit in, turn one burner on at a time, and see which burner causes the sparking to stop.

Did I say four burner? It's actually five and yes, one of them did make it stop sparking? Feels like progress. Now what? Thanks for the help. Ron
kawfeeman  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 5:13:54 AM(UTC)
kawfeeman

change the switch that corresponds to the burner that made the clicking stop .. your switch is shorted / stuck closed...
rlawrence  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 6:52:24 AM(UTC)
rlawrence

That's great. Thanks. Now, being new at this, is the switch located near the knob that turns the gas on and off, or near the burner? I haven't opened it up yet. Will it be obvious once I do? Ron
kawfeeman  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 7:15:01 AM(UTC)
kawfeeman

with the power off, after removing main top, will need a socket set, replace switch on top of the valve that you turn to let gas go to the burner ... parts can be acquired direct from manufacturer ( btw: which burner did you find that stops the sparking ? )
rlawrence  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2008 2:29:39 PM(UTC)
rlawrence

It was the front left burner. You were right on the money. As soon as that switch was removed, everything worked fine. I have the part ordered. Thanks for the assistance. Ron
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply