Discuss

Drain hose question?

in

Dishwasher Repair

. "

I have been reading the forums. I took the drain hose off from the sink air vent. Is this just

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Dishwasher Repair » Drain hose question?

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 07:34 AM

chubbard is on a distinguished road
Default Drain hose question?
Brand: Kenmore   Age: 1 - 5 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

I have been reading the forums. I took the drain hose off from the sink air vent. Is this just an open hose to the washer? Should I be able to blow into the hose and get the water in the bottom of the unit to bubble? Or do things like the check valve/pump/etc prevent free air flow? I ask because the hose doesn't look clogged, but I cannot force any air into it? Can anyone tell me how to check if the hose is clogged, other than just looking.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 05-06-2012, 04:12 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

denman is a name known to all

A model number may help other help you.

You could try letting it drain into a pail during a cycle.
Just be sure to hold the hose securely and put a towel over the pail so it does not splash all over. It is a good idea to have another person available so they can open the door and kill the cycle if things go awry.
This will at least tell you if it is a machine or house plumbing problem.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:49 AM

Thanks for the help. I ran a Quick Rinse cycle and stood there the whole time. Sounded like it wanted to drain water (heard something like a diaphragm noise, for lack of a better description) but no water came out through the sink. Got down into the bottom during this phase and the little pump was definitely on and trying to do its thing. Obviously water was still in the machine afterwards. I unhooked the drain hose from the pump, and all the water came pouring out. I need to check the drain hose again, but can someone give me some basics on the check valve or other likely problems to investigate between the bottom of the interior and the beginning of the drain hose?

It's a Kenmore Model 587 that's about 4 years old. Thanks!

Last edited by chubbard : 05-10-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:58 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

The number you give is not specific enough.
Kenmore numbers are usually 3 digits, a period and then 6 to 8 additional digits.
Model Number Locator
Old 05-11-2012, 07:20 AM

Sorry. The manual just says Model Number 587.1525 or 587.1625, the last four digits (after the point) simply indicating the color. Mine is white, but I do not know which four digit code corresponds to white. I cannot find anything else. It is an Energy Star version. I greatly appreciate your efforts. Would the model number be written somewhere on the machine itself?
Old 05-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Yes, it is usually just inside the door.
Take a look at the Model Number Locator I included earlier.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 AM

Found it - 587.15252402
Old 05-17-2012, 02:47 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Here are your parts
Replacement parts for Kenmore 58715252402 | AppliancePartsPros.com
Often if you click on a part's picture a new page will open with more info and a Q&A section about that parts.

Also the Sears parts site has an actual parts breakdown so you could use that to find the part number and then search for that number at AppliancePartsPros.

Here is the tech sheet from Frigidaire, they actually make this unit.
http://manuals.frigidaire.com/prodin.../154563701.pdf

You could try holding the draining a pail to isolate the problem as either the dishwasher or house plumbing. Just be sure to hold is securely and put a towel over it so water does not splash all.

There does not look like there is a separate check valve other than the ball in the pump, see the tech sheet.