Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BrianHanson  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 8, 2012 1:25:23 PM(UTC)
BrianHanson

Groups: Registered

I have recently purchased from you the control board and selector switch board for my Frigidaire dishwasher model FDB1980RGQ0 and serial # TH74116903, but it still does not work. I am getting very frustrated.

Let me start at the beginning. One day it just stopped working. I pulled it out and turned it on it’s side and I noticed a burnt electrical connector. It was connected to a thermostat, there are two, this one is on the left if you are looking at the machine upright from the front. It seemed to be an obvious problem but I replaced the thermostat and redid the wire and the machine still did not work. After reading several of the question and answers on your site, I decided to replace the control board. It still did not work. I then decided to replace the selector switches because I read on your site that they are often replaced together. It still does not work.

It does however give me what must be an error code. The Drying, Clean and Sanitized LEDs flash in unison. If I shut the door the upper rack light also flashes. If I push the Start/Cancel button then the Lock LED flashes along with them, but only as I am holding the start/cancel button down.

I tried to do the self test according to the directions found inside of the front door, but it does not seem to do anything. When I push the buttons I can hear something on the control board click but the machine does nothing. I thought that maybe the machine was just not filling with water and that maybe if I put water in it it would start, but nothing happened. I filled it until water was about to come out the door.

Please help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:50:29 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: BrianHanson Go to Quoted Post
I have recently purchased from you the control board and selector switch board for my Frigidaire dishwasher model FDB1980RGQ0 and serial # TH74116903, but it still does not work. I am getting very frustrated.

Let me start at the beginning. One day it just stopped working. I pulled it out and turned it on it’s side and I noticed a burnt electrical connector. It was connected to a thermostat, there are two, this one is on the left if you are looking at the machine upright from the front. It seemed to be an obvious problem but I replaced the thermostat and redid the wire and the machine still did not work. After reading several of the question and answers on your site, I decided to replace the control board. It still did not work. I then decided to replace the selector switches because I read on your site that they are often replaced together. It still does not work.

It does however give me what must be an error code. The Drying, Clean and Sanitized LEDs flash in unison. If I shut the door the upper rack light also flashes. If I push the Start/Cancel button then the Lock LED flashes along with them, but only as I am holding the start/cancel button down.

I tried to do the self test according to the directions found inside of the front door, but it does not seem to do anything. When I push the buttons I can hear something on the control board click but the machine does nothing. I thought that maybe the machine was just not filling with water and that maybe if I put water in it it would start, but nothing happened. I filled it until water was about to come out the door.

Please help!

Brian,
When you had the control panel dismantled, did you notice any plastic "chips" or pieces in the panel ? Press each of the selection keys, and feel and listen for the switch on the control to react properly,

Part number: AP3267261

Recheck the control panel keys / buttons for being loose , broken, or depressed.

Part number: AP4363367

And recheck the wiring connections, with your description, it sounds more like some of the buttons are depressed and a selection was actually being made, and the control board is "locked" up.

Good Luck and Thanks,
BrianHanson  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 5:11:50 PM(UTC)
BrianHanson

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Brian,
When you had the control panel dismantled, did you notice any plastic "chips" or pieces in the panel ? Press each of the selection keys, and feel and listen for the switch on the control to react properly,

Part number: AP3267261

Recheck the control panel keys / buttons for being loose , broken, or depressed.

Part number: AP4363367

And recheck the wiring connections, with your description, it sounds more like some of the buttons are depressed and a selection was actually being made, and the control board is "locked" up.

Good Luck and Thanks,

I tried what you suggested above and all of the buttons seem clean and there were no chips or broken pieces in the back side of the buttons when I disassembled the selector switch assembly. When I push the buttons the LEDs light up as they should. All buttons seem responsive.

When I tried to run the machine after reassembly it still behaves as I described above. I can hear the control board making clicking sounds after I attempt to start the machine and every minute or two for a while afterwards, but it does not start to fill, the motor doesn't run, other than the clicking sounds and the LEDs lighting up, nothing seems to happen.

What should I try next?

Thanks, Brian
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2012 1:54:12 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

I tried what you suggested above and all of the buttons seem clean and there were no chips or broken pieces in the back side of the buttons when I disassembled the selector switch assembly. When I push the buttons the LEDs light up as they should. All buttons seem responsive.

When I tried to run the machine after reassembly it still behaves as I described above. I can hear the control board making clicking sounds after I attempt to start the machine and every minute or two for a while afterwards, but it does not start to fill, the motor doesn't run, other than the clicking sounds and the LEDs lighting up, nothing seems to happen.

What should I try next?

Thanks, Brian

Brian, when you had the controls dismantled, and pressed the buttons, you didn't get multiple led lights like an error code, You got the proper light display ? Recheck the connections between the control board and selector switch wires.

I have to think, we may have a wiring issue. You may want to start by checking the wiring harness at the bottom of the door liner, we could have damaged/broken wires in the harness where the door liner meets the tub and enters the bottom portion of the dishwasher.

Thanks,
BrianHanson  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2012 4:51:31 PM(UTC)
BrianHanson

Originally Posted by: Joe / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Brian, when you had the controls dismantled, and pressed the buttons, you didn't get multiple led lights like an error code, You got the proper light display ? Recheck the connections between the control board and selector switch wires.

I have to think, we may have a wiring issue. You may want to start by checking the wiring harness at the bottom of the door liner, we could have damaged/broken wires in the harness where the door liner meets the tub and enters the bottom portion of the dishwasher.

Thanks,

I did as you suggested, I checked each wire and each connection, taking each off, looking for corrosion, and putting each back on again. I didn't find anything wrong, so I started checking around with my multimeter, not even really knowing what I was looking for, but I did find something odd. I have 120 volts going into my door latch switch, but only 80 volts coming out. I checked and double checked this. I need a new switch, right? How do I replace this? Do I have to replace the whole assembly? I took the whole thing off and it wasn't obvious to me how I would disassemble it.

Thanks again,
Brian
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:59:49 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

I did as you suggested, I checked each wire and each connection, taking each off, looking for corrosion, and putting each back on again. I didn't find anything wrong, so I started checking around with my multimeter, not even really knowing what I was looking for, but I did find something odd. I have 120 volts going into my door latch switch, but only 80 volts coming out. I checked and double checked this. I need a new switch, right? How do I replace this? Do I have to replace the whole assembly? I took the whole thing off and it wasn't obvious to me how I would disassemble it.

Thanks again,
Brian

Brian,
Based on you post. Yes, you'll need a new door latch assembly

Part number: AP3778099
Part number: AP3778099

80 VAC is not enough power out of the control to operate the components properly. Great job diagnosing the issue.

Here are the basic replacement instructions:
DOOR LATCH ASSEMBLY
1. Disconnect dishwasher from electrical supply.
2. Remove outer door panel.
3. The door latch is held to the inner door panel with two screws and two locator pins. Remove screws and pull to remove.
4. To remove door switches, push plastic bracket open and rotate bottom of switch up.

Good Luck and Thanks,

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply