Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sweetliberty  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 23, 2009 8:10:27 PM(UTC)
sweetliberty

Groups: Registered

Thermal Fuse malfunction frequent occurrence. Dishwasher worked for a couple of weeks after purchase then the Thermal Fuse blew. Replaced it and that fuse worked for a couple of weeks then blew. Replaced that fuse with but didn't direct wire dishwasher to the house opting for a plug and used without problems for a few months thinking we had a good fuse directed wired the washer to the house. Thermal fuse blew after a couple of washes. The previous dishwasher blew it's thermal fuse it was a maytag which was recalled due to a problem with the rinse agent leaking into the wiring. Now either we have the worse luck purchasing bad new dishwashers or something is possibly wrong with our household wiring and circuit breaker.

Shouldn't the circuit breaker trip before a Thermal fuse would be needed? And couldn't the problem be in the house wiring and the circuit breaker not the dishwasher itself? Should we bring in an electrician to change out the house hold wiring and circuit breaker to the dishwasher? The house is 32 years old and the wiring hasn't been updated since construction.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sweetliberty  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:43:21 AM(UTC)
sweetliberty

I thought there were suppose to be technicians on this forum who could answer questions. :confused:

Simple enough question could faulty wiring or breaker be causing the thermal switch failures?

Considering my limited resources who should I call first an electrician to change out the wiring and breaker or call a dishwasher repair person to replace yet another thermal switch. Considering the failure rate I don't think the real problem is being addressed.
ripleys  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2009 4:33:07 PM(UTC)
ripleys

Groups: Senior Expert

First off we are unpaid technicians offering free advice on our time to help you out. If you have not received a response it may be that we are unsure of the cause of the problem and don't want to give out wrong advice or information. My question to you is this. If you just purchased the dishwasher and the thermal fuse is blowing, why are you repairing it as it should be under manufacturers warranty. I would have called for service while it was under warranty.
rosko  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2009 5:58:24 PM(UTC)
rosko

What size of fuse are you using? Is it a slow blow? The house wiring should be find.
sweetliberty  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 1, 2009 6:18:22 AM(UTC)
sweetliberty

Originally Posted by: ripleys Go to Quoted Post
First off we are unpaid technicians offering free advice on our time to help you out. If you have not received a response it may be that we are unsure of the cause of the problem and don't want to give out wrong advice or information. My question to you is this. If you just purchased the dishwasher and the thermal fuse is blowing, why are you repairing it as it should be under manufacturers warranty. I would have called for service while it was under warranty.

Did call them they still charge you a $85 service fee. And they did replace the fuse twice. I am just frustrated at the inconvenience and expense. I simply think that my house breaker should flip off before a thermal fuse would trip. Or has whirlpool and other manufactures made thermal fuses so sensitive that they trip way too easily.

Dishwasher is out of warranty and I am still having the same problem. I can't afford to replace a dishwashers every year and half and pay for a bunch of service calls. Considering this is the 2nd dishwasher which has had thermal fuse problems.
denman  
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 1, 2009 6:58:03 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are the parts
Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL GU2700XTSS1 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is the tech sheet
http://www.servicematters.com/d...heet%20-%20W10130990.pdf

It is a thermal fuse so can blow by either current or temperature.

The parts breakdown seems to indicate that the vent is open all the time, not wax motor driven.
Check that it is open so heat does not build up in the unit.

Shouldn't the circuit breaker trip before a Thermal fuse would be needed?

Not necessarily.

And couldn't the problem be in the house wiring and the circuit breaker not the dishwasher itself?
If your original dishwasher was blowing the thermal fuse every once in a while then I would put the house wiring at the top of the list. The odds of getting 2 different dishwashers that have the exact same problem is remote.
Check to be sure that the dishwasher is on it's own line. If not what else is on the line. Could the other devices draw enough current to drop the voltage. Low voltage can cause the unit to draw more amps which will blow the fuse.
Check the voltage to the dishwasher while it is off and when it is running to see if low voltage is the problem.
Check all connections from the circuit breaker to the unit to see if any are loose or corroded.

Should we bring in an electrician to change out the house hold wiring and circuit breaker to the dishwasher?
That is up to you as I do not know how handy you are with electrical.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
cjm3001  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 1, 2009 9:59:38 AM(UTC)
cjm3001

I would check the amperage that the circut breaker is drawing without the dishwasher running . Example if you have 15 amp breaker and its drawing 12 amps before you run the dishwasher the fuse would blow first to protect the dishwasher . In most older house's wiring is sometimes inadequet for newer appliances.Here are some easy ways to find out how much amps you are drawing.

1. Shut the circut breaker

2. Make a list of all appliances that are on that line fridge toaster what ever .
3.Check your manufactures specks on their amp draw these are listed in your owners manual for these appliances.

Hope this helps you out
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply