Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thomas jay  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:22:16 PM(UTC)
thomas jay

Groups: Registered

Hello,

This dishwasher leaks down the standpipe during the wash cycle. I cleaned the dishwasher by hand and ran wash cycles with draino, CLR, and Lemi Shine separately. I checked the float switch and it ohms at 23 in one direction and infinity in the other. Also, when I lift up on the float stem to trip the float switch the water flow stops immediately. The water level in the dishwasher when full is just below the heater element. I checked the vent at the sink and it appears okay. The dishwasher drains completely.

I thought that maybe a gasket or o-ring was missing from the float stem where it goes into the standpipe but when I order the replacement float from AppliancePartsPros there is nothing on the float stem.

I would greatly appreciate any help at this point as I am stumped. Please note that the water is not leaking from the door gasket and the water is not sudsy. It just leaks a lot of water down the standpipe hole where the float stem stick down to the float switch and this takes place during the wash cycle.

Thanks so much!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:07:12 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: thomas jay Go to Quoted Post
...ran wash cycles with draino...

I would not do anything else with this dishwasher. Very soon, if not yet, it will damage all rubber parts and seals inside, so it will start to leak as a colander.

Gene.
thomas jay  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 4:17:15 PM(UTC)
thomas jay

Hello Gene,

Thank you for your response. I have not seen any problems from running draino down the drain of the dishwasher. However, I did read on another post that had a similar problem and they were directed to remove or tie down the lower spray arm. I tried that and it still leaked quite a bit down the standpipe. Do you think I can make my own gasket or even try silicone calc if the float stem still slides freely?
Gene  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:13:09 PM(UTC)
Gene

It should slide freely, otherwise it would not do what it should - protect from overflowing.

Try to remove the washer which should be under the lower spray arm. Make sure the spray arm goes all the way down.

Gene.
thomas jay  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:46:46 AM(UTC)
thomas jay

Hello Gene,

I tried your suggestion of removing the flat washer located underneath the bottom spinner and to my surprise it did reduce the amount of leaking. It is still leaking a lot down the standpipe but not as much. Do you have any other suggestions that I might try? This dish washer is level.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 29, 2012 1:44:40 PM(UTC)
Gene

I would recommend to replace the spray arm, but it is no longer available. Try to lower the spray arm somehow. Otherwise it might be time for a new dishwasher.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply