Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
COBBCITY  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2009 10:44:09 AM(UTC)
COBBCITY

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag Model MDB9100AWQ dishwasher that is having an odd problem.

After several years of working fine, I noticed about two weeks ago after starting it that it was running without any water inside. You could hear the pump trying to pump out water as if the machine “thought” all was well, but no cleaning was being done. It would even open the soap dispenser at the right moment and empty it into a dry dishwasher.

I stopped and started the machine again and it ran with water this time and all appeared fine. I found this odd, but for several days the machine seemed ok then it did another “waterless cycle”. If I don't catch it it will run the entire cycle without water.

The problem is not constant. It will do a cycle without loading water and then run fine the next time. Early this week, it even loaded water for the first part of the washing, emptied the dirty water to move on to rinse and stopped loading water… I ended up with half washed dishes. Next try, no water. Third try, ran fine.

I would think something is clogged but it makes no sense that the machine would sometimes work fine and sometime not or sometimes work half way. It’s to the point where I make sure I am home and around if I use it while I try and figure this out because it could indeed stop using water at some point in the cycle.

Last night, I tested it before posting this and it ran flawlessly, but I know that won’t last for long. I have taken the spray arms off, etc. and see nothing wrong.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Frank / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2009 11:04:58 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Originally Posted by: COBBCITY Go to Quoted Post
I have a Maytag Model MDB9100AWQ dishwasher that is having an odd problem.

After several years of working fine, I noticed about two weeks ago after starting it that it was running without any water inside. You could hear the pump trying to pump out water as if the machine “thought” all was well, but no cleaning was being done. It would even open the soap dispenser at the right moment and empty it into a dry dishwasher.

I stopped and started the machine again and it ran with water this time and all appeared fine. I found this odd, but for several days the machine seemed ok then it did another “waterless cycle”. If I don't catch it it will run the entire cycle without water.

The problem is not constant. It will do a cycle without loading water and then run fine the next time. Early this week, it even loaded water for the first part of the washing, emptied the dirty water to move on to rinse and stopped loading water… I ended up with half washed dishes. Next try, no water. Third try, ran fine.

I would think something is clogged but it makes no sense that the machine would sometimes work fine and sometime not or sometimes work half way. It’s to the point where I make sure I am home and around if I use it while I try and figure this out because it could indeed stop using water at some point in the cycle.

Last night, I tested it before posting this and it ran flawlessly, but I know that won’t last for long. I have taken the spray arms off, etc. and see nothing wrong.

Any ideas? Thanks!

With your description of the irregular problem, first thing I would look at is the float. It's the devise in the left front corner. I goes up and down to regulate the water level when the machine is filling. If it sticks in the up position that will prohibit the machine from filling. They due stick sometimes due to the detergent build up that can make them sticky.

Next time it doesn't fill, look at it, and give it a push down, see if it moves. Then try the machine again. If that does solve it, you'll need to remove the front access panel and remove the retaining nut that holds it on, and give it a good cleaning. I've enclosed a picture of the part.

Part number: AP4390017
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply