Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Robert Rifkin  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:57:45 PM(UTC)
Robert Rifkin

Groups: Registered

Hi,

My old whirlpool dishwasher leaks during the drain cycle. As best as I can tell, it leaks somewhere before the drain hose and before the connection to the base of the pump. That suggests to me that the seal to the motor is leaking. I have removed the pump assembly from the dishwasher, and the inlet base seal washer, motor gasket and drain cover seal appear good to my untrained eye. I am trying to figure out where the seal to the motor shaft is. I've order the "pump seal kit", hoping that it will have the appropriate seal for the motor shaft itself. Maybe it will be obvious once this kit arrives from AppliancePartPros, but until then can someone point me to where the seal is, on the diagram for the DU8500 dishwasher pump.
Is the pump centering tool required to fix the motor seal?

thanks in advance.

bob
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Robert Rifkin  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 28, 2009 8:41:25 AM(UTC)
Robert Rifkin

Groups: Registered

Hi,

May I respond to my own post! Perhaps this will help someone in the future.

The leak was indeed from the seal around the motor shaft. Whirlpool does sell a "pump centering tool" which probably would have worked better than the 1/2" copper pipe that I used to seat the seal on the motor shaft. This seal is also about 1/8" thicker than the original one. In retrospect, it may have helped to lubricate the motor shaft to help get the seal on that shaft. Typically, if one is replacing that seal, the shaft will be somewhat rusted. In any event, the leak has stopped (although, I notice that when the pump starts a new cycle, such as drain, there is a small mist of water that still comes out at the bottom of the dishwasher. I will ignore this.)

As at least one other person has noted on another applicance forum, Whirlpool's tub gasket seal is slightly smaller than the original, and does not work. Moreover, their suggestion that this gasket must be replaced is probably overkill; I am using the original one without any problems. I am forced to do that since their replacement leaks.

thanks.

bob
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply