Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wmaddox3  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:05:17 AM(UTC)
wmaddox3

Groups: Registered

great forum - hope someone can help...

this d/w wasn't completing any drain cycle, although after a manual drain it would empty. The drain tube was running with only a short loop of about 8 inches, so I notched another hole near the top of the enclosure to run the hose thru meet that rule. I also made sure the drain tube was clear and unscrewed the check valve to check above it for a blockage. I was surprised that there was no ball in it and I could blow throught it both ways.

prior to finding this forum, I had thought the impeller was bad and had broken the wash impeller with visegrips or channelocks. ( just the hex nut area.) Then I found this forum.

so now I've manged to order the impeller kit, and replaced the wash impeller. I jammed the motor from underneath in order to remove the screw holding the impeller down.

Now the machine growls ominously during a drain cycle and no water is drained. It sounds normal during a wash cycle. I think I must have re-assembled it incorrectly.

The pump diagram shows two balls (#7) apparently just dropped in from the top of the sump cover (#23) even though there appears to bea raceway in the pump base that the balls seem to fit perfectly and would seem to block a flow of water in one way or the other.

I decided to drop the balls in the sump cover as the diagram seemed to indicate and reassembled it. there didn't seem to be any damage to the drain impeller or the chopper, so I didn't replace them.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 1:27:11 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The check valve should prevent back up into the dishwasher.

Quote:
I could blow throught it both ways

Sounds like the check valve is bad an there is a back up which looks like dishwasher did not drain properly.

- The check valve Part number: AP2910020
Part number: AP2910020

The two check balls inside the pump are blocking the drain lines during the wash cycle. When the drain cycle begins, the drive motor changes direction. This relieves the pressure on the two check balls, opening the drain system.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL DUL140PPQ2 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
wmaddox3  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 1:38:01 PM(UTC)
wmaddox3

Groups: Registered

had to be that - I already ordered it. One thing still bothers me... those two dang balls. do they both simply drop in after the sump cover is installed? If so, why? seems that one should go in the cavity just below the sump cover into which it cannot drop naturally because of a tang at the bottom edge of the sump cover cavity.

this time the reassembly removed the growling sound, but now no water is drained at all. So it must be these balls
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 1:41:20 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Disconnect the other end of the drain hose, put it in a bucket and run the drain cycle. Post the result.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply