Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rm08780  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 5:02:09 AM(UTC)
rm08780

Groups: Registered

My Kitchenaide dishwasher, model KUDS01FLWH6, has been making a grinding noise for the past few weeks during the drain phase. Today the dishwasher stopped draining the water. When I press the cancel button I can hear a faint motor noise but the water does not drain. What could the problem be? Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ApplianceJunk  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 7:25:48 AM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Groups: Senior Expert

Could be something caught in the drain pump or the pump could have simply failed and needs to be replaced.
rm08780  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:46:31 AM(UTC)
rm08780

Thanks for the reply. I've ordered a new drain pump. Not the handiest guy around. I'm willing to give it a try changing the pump. I found some instructions that state that you have to remove the dishwasher and lay it on it's back to get to the pump. We'll see how that goes.
ApplianceJunk  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:51:00 AM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

Originally Posted by: rm08780 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the reply. I've ordered a new drain pump. Not the handiest guy around. I'm willing to give it a try changing the pump. I found some instructions that state that you have to remove the dishwasher and lay it on it's back to get to the pump. We'll see how that goes.

That maybe best if it's full of water and you have never changed one before.

I suck out what water I can with a shop vac after removing the spray arm and covers. The reach in through the access panel and change it. Good way to scratch up your hands, but it gets me in and out the door and on to the next call faster. ;)
rm08780  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:10:21 AM(UTC)
rm08780

I've never changed one before. I've already got all of the water out using sponges. I took the spray arm off. The cover has three screws that appear to be torx. If I get that cover off should I readily see the pump? If so does the pump twist off or will there be more screws to deal with? I don't want to go down this road if I won't be able to finish the journey.
ApplianceJunk  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:32:47 AM(UTC)
ApplianceJunk

You don't need to do anything from inside the dishwasher. The only reason to be inside the dishwasher is to get the water out.

The drain pump has to be changed from the bottom of the dishwasher.
You would be best to pull it out and lay it on it's back so you can see what your doing.

The pump just twist on and off the sump housing. There is a plastic tab that keeps it locked in place, no screws.

Really simple once you can see how it is.
rm08780  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:36:39 AM(UTC)
rm08780

Thanks for the clarity. I'm going to give this a try this weekend. Your help is much appreciated.
rm08780  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2012 3:37:30 PM(UTC)
rm08780

I changed the drain pump this evening. Went in through the access panel. Thanks to some You Tube videos it wasn't too bad. But when I put everything back together it still isn't draining.

When I removed the old pump two of the impeller blades were missing. There had been a grinding noise for a week or so when the drain cycle was running. My guess is that the missing blades are stuck in the motor somewhere. Is it feasible to take apart the motor to a point where I can maybe remove the stuck blades or should I replace the motor?
rm08780  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 6, 2012 7:11:44 AM(UTC)
rm08780

Anyone have any thoughts on what could be causing my problem? I don't want to start changing parts just to change parts. Thanks.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply