Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bmadsen4  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:27:46 AM(UTC)
bmadsen4

Groups: Registered

First evidence of leak was when kitchen floor flooded. We put towels under and observed but it doesn't happen every time. Sometimes just a few drops, sometimes a larger drip, only twice with water pouring down below the door, and sometimes no leaks at all. We replaced door seal. Does this sound like a faulty float switch or the float itself? Or water inlet problem?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Penman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2009 8:57:25 PM(UTC)
Penman

Originally Posted by: bmadsen4 Go to Quoted Post
First evidence of leak was when kitchen floor flooded. We put towels under and observed but it doesn't happen every time. Sometimes just a few drops, sometimes a larger drip, only twice with water pouring down below the door, and sometimes no leaks at all. We replaced door seal. Does this sound like a faulty float switch or the float itself? Or water inlet problem?

For what it is worth: I have a Kitchenaid KUDS01IJWH0 that developed a door leak. I replaced the door gasket (was looking old and bad; machine is ~6 years old). Leak got worse and was in different area (was at right side, now from ~center bottom and to right side. I found that this problem is due to cracked plastic "air inlet" along the bottom edge of door; apparently it's gotten old and brittle. I may have cracked it WORSE while replacing the door seal; I can't say. I taped up the cracks with some duct tape (not just tape; it is a way of life) and the leak went away. My next move is to get a new "air inlet" and install it. Installation appears to require removal of the door front panel for access to the screws that mount the "air inlet" to the door panel.

On your machine, be sure to check the float for free movement, and if you find that the float is sticky, fix that first!! I did have a sticky float at one time, and in my case the washer would not fill properly. Just as easily could fail to STOP fill, allowing some overflow. Hope all this helps you.
bmadsen4  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:29:43 PM(UTC)
bmadsen4

Thanks for your response. We replaced the float even though it did not appear to be sticking and have have no leaks since. The float part was less than $20 so we saved the price of replacing the dishwasher!
Penman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:46:29 PM(UTC)
Penman

Glad to hear it! Given the price of service calls, a few bucks spent on "search and destroy" is often worth the money. After I finish replacing the "air inlet," I'll still have less than $100 in this job, and the dishwasher will be good for several more years.

Live long, and prosper.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply