Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
valv00  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:36:53 PM(UTC)
valv00

Groups: Registered

[FONT=&quot]I have a Whirlpool GU2500XTPB3 undercounter dishwasher. I have removed the lower spray arm assembly but I cannot figure out how to disassemble the four parts (wash arm assembly, internal rear feed cap, spray arm seal, and lower spray arm hub). It seems like it might be a sort of pressure fit, but I am afraid that I will break the plastic if I pry it apart. How do I get it apart so that I can find the problem and repair it?[/FONT]
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Jerry L. Dunnahoo  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:39:47 PM(UTC)
Jerry L. Dunnahoo

Groups: Expert

There are 2 ways to disassemble it. The way the manufacturer wants it done is to remove the water tower from the tub so you can rotate the rear feed cap. The way most field technicians do it is to hold the tab at the rear of the feed cap up while you rotate the rear of the feed cap to the right. You only have to rotate it about 1/8th of a turn before you can lift it up off of the accumulator assembly (top of the pump assembly). It takes quite a bit of force to do it this way and it seems as though you will break it but its tougher than you might think. If anything gives way its usually the water tower assembly popping out of the clip in the middle of the back wall of the tub. This easily snaps back in after reinstallation of the feed cap. I think the hardest part of this whole procedure is levitating over the door so you dont over stress the door hinges. Good luck! =]
valv00  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2012 7:02:56 AM(UTC)
valv00

Groups: Registered

Jerry,
I appreciate the response. However, my problem is not how to get the spray assembly out. I have done that. To replace one or two parts of the assembly, I must get it apart. I cannot figure out how to do that.
Jerry L. Dunnahoo  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 13, 2012 7:19:37 PM(UTC)
Jerry L. Dunnahoo

Groups: Expert

To disassemble, remove the torx headed screws (4) and lift straight up and the accumulator assembly will lift off. The next 2 screws are a size smaller torx head. One allows removal of the guard that prevents large food particles from getting in the chopper area. The next one allows removal of the actual chopper compartment. After you remove this screw (the one to the left) this cover must be grabbed with needle nose pliers. Pull straight up and it will pop straight up. This allows you to see the screen with chopper blade assembly. (If you use a shop vac here it is useful so you're not working under water). Grab the edge of the screen with your needle nose pliers and you have to wiggle it around to get the shaft to disengage from the pump motor cog. It might help to pull the spring loaded blade away from the motor. This part may already be broken if any seeds or debris has gotten onto the area during motor operation. This assembly comes pre-assembled as a chopper blade kit. Often if a glass has been broken, glass fragments will be in this area. I always use my needle nose to get them out because if you run your finger in there to feel you get cut by the glass. sometimes your shopvac will suck the particles out. To reassemble, use your needle nose again but this time use them to hold the spring in the compressed position by putting them between the screen and the chopper blade. Then manipulate the screen around until the screen goes in with the cogs aligned. This is a bit tricky if you didn't pay close attention to the positioning of the screen before dis-assembly. Use patience and this will go smoothly. Holler back if I haven't made myself clear. I'll do my best to help you out. =]
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply