Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bob1958  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2011 6:24:55 AM(UTC)
Bob1958

Groups: Registered

This dishwasher works fine but we often have to hit the start button numerous times (as many as 100 attempts) for the interface to acknowledge. I've previously replaced the Electronic Control Board, and the only other electronic part I see in the owner's manual is a User Interface. Does something need to be replaced or is there just a bad contact somewhere?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2011 6:52:20 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for KENMORE 66516499300 | AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

It does sound like the start button/switch on the keypad is bad.
Look at the keypad pin-out matrix in the tech sheet to see if other keys which use the same tracks as the start are OK.

The usual way to troubleshoot is to check the keypad with a meter. If it checks out OK then replace the control board.
This is still a bit of a crap shoot but your odds are better.

If the start and a couple other keys do not work then it could be just a bad connection so I would try the following.
Connector Cleaning / Checking
Unplug the unit
Open it up
Remove the ribbon cable from the keypad to the control board at the control board.
Clean the edge connector.
If it is the type where there is not a connector just the insulation is removed, it can be cleaned with a pencil eraser. Do not use an ink eraser as it is too abrasive.
Check the tracks in the ribbon cable for hairline cracks. A magnifying glass helps here.
Would not hurt to clean the connector on the board. Use electronics contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush. Be gentle and do not reconnect till all the solvent evaporates.
Reconnect everything and give it a try.
File Attachment(s):
16499300.pdf (1,001kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Bob1958  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2011 7:20:02 AM(UTC)
Bob1958

Thanks for the help...much appriciated. When you say "control board" I assume you mean the larger control part (Part No. 8534963) and not the part directly under the buttons called the "user interface" (8539436) which is a long and thin board, and for some reason a lot more expensive than the control board?
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 31, 2011 7:36:20 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Yes.

Looks like they call the keypad
Part number: AP3591313
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Bob1958  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 6, 2011 7:08:38 AM(UTC)
Bob1958

Took the unit apart, cleaned all the connections, checked the ribbons, installed a new control board (had an extra here). No change, so it's probably the interface. Now I have to consider spending $170 on a 7 year-old dishwasher vs. buying a new one. It would help if I had the technical expertise to test the part just to be certain, but it's something I never learned to do.
Bob1958  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 23, 2011 3:56:28 AM(UTC)
Bob1958

For the benefit of anyone else that has this problem, it has been solved. The start button on this Kenmore (Whirlpool) had to be pushed numerous times before it would work. Although the cleaning didn't appear to work at first, within a couple of days the problem went completely away and now it starts on the first push every time.

Two things I think solved this: 1. I sprayed electronic cleaner into the start button on the user interface (after removing it). I think it may have taken a couple of days for it to work its way into that tiny sealed unit and then dry itself out, but now apparently has perfect contact; and 2. I fabricated a small plastic piece and inserted it between the interface and control panel to remove the small amount of play between the two, which was allowing the interface to move slightly when you pressed start. Now there is no play and a much more distinct "click" when we press start. Thanks again to the help....cost to fix was $0. :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply