Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tinkerguy  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2009 8:58:45 AM(UTC)
Tinkerguy

Groups: Registered

My dishwasher pump is leaking at the point where the motor shaft enters the pump housing assembly. It leaks when the washer is in the wash and drain cycle. I think it might be the seal seat. Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to disassemble the housing assembly and if you think I am right about the seal. Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2009 1:29:32 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
If there is nothing wrong with the motor itself then you probably can fix the leak by replacing the impeller and seal kit (#9 on the diagram). Most of the time it's not possible to unscrew the mounting disk (#10) and it has to be chiseled out, so it's better to order it together with the seal kit.

You have to remove the dishwasher from the cabinet. Unscrew the nut (#10 on the diagram) and remove the lower spray arm. Carefully put the dishwasher on its back (be prepared for some water on the floor) and remove all clamps and nuts holding the pump. Remove the hoses and pull the pump assembly out.

- The part number for the impeller & seal kit is AP3108052

- The part number for the mounting disk is AP2909490

Here are the break down diagrams and Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL DU840SWLT0 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
HepMePlease  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2009 11:38:09 AM(UTC)
HepMePlease

Thanks Gene, and great tip about ordering the mounting disk along with the seal kit. I have followed these instructions on my Roper WU5750B0, and have chiseled out my mounting disk. Now what? What part should come off next, and how?
Gene  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2009 7:13:35 PM(UTC)
Gene

The next part should be the impeller. Most of the time it's hard to remove it too. You have to break it in pieces, but be very careful not to damage the pump body. The rest should come off easy. Unscrew the four screws holding the pump to the motor and take the pump out. Clean the motor shaft from rust using a fine file or a sand paper. Make sure the new motor shaft seal (#8 on the diagram) moves smooth along the shaft.

Assemble in the reversed order. Good luck.

Gene.
IdahoSpud  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2011 8:53:31 AM(UTC)
IdahoSpud

Hello - the advice above is very helpful. I have a question.

I've got my replacement impeller/seal kit - exact match! - and I'm reassembling. The impeller (#9 in the diagram) and the "seal/spring assembly" (#8) are no-brainers. However, from the diagram I can't tell which way the little washer (#7) goes onto the shaft. It looks to be made of ceramic or plastic, and has a rubber grommet covering one side... does the rubber face toward the pump housing, or toward the impeller?

THANKS!!
Gene  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2011 11:18:41 AM(UTC)
Gene

What is the complete model number of the dishwasher?

Gene.
IdahoSpud  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2011 1:33:06 PM(UTC)
IdahoSpud

Gene, it's a SUD4000HQ0 ("Kirkland by Whirlpool").

The pump/motor drawings (low-resolution) look EXACTLY like the pieces/parts of my dishwasher.

Thanks.
Gene  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2011 1:47:43 PM(UTC)
Gene

The part you called "little washer" is actually the seal. The rubber part of it should go inside the pump housing all the way in. Moisturizing the rubber part of the seal can help to do it. Be very careful not to damage the ceramic part as well as the black ring on the shaft seal which goes on top of that seal.

Gene.
P.S. Did you disconnect the motor from the pump housing?
IdahoSpud  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2011 2:27:26 PM(UTC)
IdahoSpud

Yes, I disconnected the motor and pulled it, so I could clean up the shaft before putting it all back together.

I guess I'll have to get my flashlight out and see where that O-ring seal thing goes; sounds like it "seats" in the pump housing. And if I understand correctly, when it's installed the "rubber side" will be against the housing, with the "ceramic side" facing out - toward the shaft seal and impeller.) After I busted up the old impeller getting it out, I just didn't pay enough attention to how the old seal was positioned.

(That 2-inch hole makes it challenging for my 5-inch hands... but if I can git 'er done and avoid buying the whole assembly... or a whole new dishwasher!... it'll be time and effort well spent.)

Your expert advice is appreciated.
Gene  
#10 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2011 2:48:15 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: IdahoSpud Go to Quoted Post
...And if I understand correctly, when it's installed the "rubber side" will be against the housing, with the "ceramic side" facing out - toward the shaft seal and impeller...

Yes, you are absolutely right.

You are welcome and good luck with your dishwasher. Keep us posted.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply