Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DAWOLFESR  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:38:52 AM(UTC)
DAWOLFESR

Groups: Registered

I have a ~2year old Maytag dishwasher that won't start. I have checked the door lock micro switches with an ohm meter and they work fine. I have checked the AC coming into the junction box and I have 120vac, I have checked the ribbon cable going to the control board for all functions and all checked at 10kohms when functions were pressed. I also cleaned the ribbon cables copper contacts with contact cleaner. I also have replaced the control board itself and still no resolve. The wiring harness looks good from inside the door to underneath the washer. Any help on this of where to check next I would appreciate it....thank you:confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

magician59  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:44:18 AM(UTC)
magician59

Groups: Senior Expert

No lights at all on the control panel?
DAWOLFESR  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2011 6:48:46 PM(UTC)
DAWOLFESR

I do have some LEDS lighting up...Heavy wash, rinse, heated dry, hi temp, but definately no normal or light wash LEDs.
magician59  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:32:34 PM(UTC)
magician59

Given the testing you have already done, I would suspect a bad control board.
DAWOLFESR  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2011 8:23:58 AM(UTC)
DAWOLFESR

Thanks for your feedback, but I already replaced the control board at a cost of ~$120, but not the control panel? Any more ideas are welcomed...thank you
magician59  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2011 8:57:18 AM(UTC)
magician59

Go back to the electrical box under the dishwasher and make sure you don't have a loose neutral or ground connection. Even if it looks securely connected, a loose ground or neutral can present some pretty confusing symptoms.

When I install or service a dishwasher, I always twist the wires together; twist on the wire nuts; then secure the connections with electrical tape, beginning about a half inch below the skirt of the wire nut, and ending on the nut itself. This assures the wires don't separate, or come out of the connector.

If you got the readings you posted, while testing your touch pad keys, there is nothing wrong with the control panel. Check to make sure the ribbon connector is positioned correctly in its connector. (You may want to lightly clean the exposed terminals of the cable with a pencil easer [be very gentle!] before reconnecting it.)

If you feel comfortable doing a [COLOR="red"]"live circuit"[/COLOR] test, open the door and gain access to the door switch. Select a wash cycle and test the switch for 120VAC. [COLOR="Red"]Use extreme caution and don't allow any metal to metal (or metal to skin!) contact at the switch terminals.[/COLOR]
Do the same thing at the control board input.

Tell us what you find.
DAWOLFESR  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 26, 2011 5:03:32 PM(UTC)
DAWOLFESR

Well I really appreciate your help. I already did the things you mentioned.
I have been able to get it started on a few rare occasions, so I really believe it has to be the touchpad. I looked at the ribbon contacts under magnification and they look worn. I already shelled out $120. Can you recommend where I can get the touchpad assy at the best price?
Better yet can you recommend a rugged model, in the color bisque, that will last greater than 3yrs. I be happy if I could get 8 to 10 yrs use out of a new machine. It's only my spouse and me and we run a dishwasher maybe once a week. Appreciate your time in responding back so quickly
magician59  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 27, 2011 5:17:33 PM(UTC)
magician59

Here's the assembly in stock at APP. There are other sites that sell appliance parts online. If you're in a large enough city, you might also find one locally. Since you've taken the time to cpmmunicate with us here, it seems obvious that you have enough patience to do a little comparison shopping.

Let us know how it turns out.

Part number: AP4364035
DAWOLFESR  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2011 4:13:08 AM(UTC)
DAWOLFESR

OKAY, THE CONTROL PANEL WAS THE FIX and the dishwasher is now good to go....:D
Question....The ribbon cable from the control panel to the control circuit board does that need any vasoline or silicone grease to protect the contacts or inserting it 'dry' into the circuit board connector okay? Or should there be any grease be applied around the perimeter of the circuit board connector after the ribbon cable is inserted 'dry' into the connector to protect it from outside moisture caused by steam? I am just concerned that the dishwasher was only 3 years old and this part failed.....Appreciate your response back to me...ALSO I APPRECIATE ALL YOUR TIME IN RESPONDING BACK TO ME ON THIS ISSUE...thanks, doug wolfe
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply