Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pennyaline  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2011 9:30:32 AM(UTC)
pennyaline

Groups: Registered

I have a couple of questions. First, how can I remove the float cover from a GE Profile dishwasher, model number GSD4335Z02WW? The water level does not seem to come up very high (fills to well below the heating element, then stops). Second, how can I remove the spray arm assembly? The tower is broken and cannot spray up to the upper rack (lower ring that holds the nested pieces together is cracked and the tower shoots right out of the arm when the machine runs!) Everything I have read so far tells me that these are simple trouble shooting checks and repairs that anyone can do, but nothing has told me how to do them. TIA!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 21, 2011 1:38:49 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric GSD4335Z02WW Dishwasher | AppliancePartsPros.com
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
First, how can I remove the float cover from a GE Profile dishwasher.[/COLOR]
As far as I know you undo a screw holding it to the tub floor and it should then be removable.
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
The water level does not seem to come up very high (fills to well below the heating element, then stops).[/COLOR]
I doubt this is the float/overfill switch. Check that the overfill switch stays activated.
More likely it is a partially clogged water valve.
The most common cause is a dirty screen filter on the input side of the fill calve. Remove the valve from the unit and clean/check the filter.
Do not permanently remove it from the valve as it is there to keep crud out of the valve which could hold it open and cause a flood.

If it still does not fill correctly I would replace the fill valve.

PS: Be sure to shut off the power and the water supply to the unit. Have paper towels etc. handy to wipe up any spilled water. Get a small pan/bowl etc. that will fit under the valve then loosen the input water line let it drip into the container emptying it as necessary. This will minimize the amount of water spilled.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Second, how can I remove the spray arm assembly?[/COLOR]
The following should help, check out # 16.
http://www.applianceaid.com/ge-dish.html
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
pennyaline  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:00:31 AM(UTC)
pennyaline

I appreciate your reply! I really do wish that they had fully described the process of taking the float cover off in the sources I checked first. However, if the float is not the problem, it seems that the process moves into somethingv that is beyond my ability. I am wholly unable to get down onto the floor to work under the machine.

The link to info about the spray arm assembly is appreciated too, but there is something about the description of how the spray arm attaches that doesnt seem right. It says that the base is "threaded" and that the attachment point sits in that thread. I can't see anything "threaded" about what's in my machine. Rather, it appears to sit in a groove, into which it must just snap in place when assembled. That makes more sense when paired with the link's instructions for disassembling the arm: insert a flat blade screwdriver into the base and "twist the blade." That would cause the arm to pop out of the groove and allow it to be removed from the machine. If things were actually threaded, twisting the blade would only damage the arm and wouldn't get it through the threads at all. But before I stick a flat blade into my machine and "twist," I need a little moral support. Is my hunch about the threads right or am I about to set myself up to buy a new dishwasher?
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2011 1:04:42 AM(UTC)
denman

If you look at the picture below it clearly shows the threads on the bottom of the part.
Part number: AP2039850
pennyaline  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:15:14 AM(UTC)
pennyaline

Okay, I do see the threaded part. So, how will inserting a flat blade into the opening above that and "twisting" it cause the arm to come unscrewed? The choice of the word "twist" in the directions at the link is what's got me stumped. If I twist the blade--that is if I rotate the blade in the opening while holding the screwdriver in a fixed horizontal position as if twisting a dagger in a stabbing victim--the lower strucures of the arm may writhe and pop and probably break, but nothing will unscrew. However, if I use the screwdriver shaft as a lever to try to turn the assembly in the direction of the threads, I would be forcing the shaft against the base in which the arm assembly sits, stressing that base but doing nothing to the arm itself. I OBVIOUSLY NEED HELP HERE!
denman  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 25, 2011 9:26:18 AM(UTC)
denman

OK I re-read the link and the way I read it by "twist" mean unscrew the spray arm assembly.
pennyaline  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 29, 2011 10:26:13 AM(UTC)
pennyaline

Okay then. Actually, I got brave while I was waiting for a reply over the weekend and went ahead and attempted to unscrew the assembly using the screwdriver shaft as a lever. Initially, the assembly moved about an eighth of an inch, then moved no more. As I gently coaxed the works to persuade it to give a little more, a piece of plastic that may or not have been important snapped and flew out of the opening, then the body against which I was pushing with the screwdriver/lever began to crack. Really, I WAS going quite gently! I was attempting to move the assembly in the direction that would cause it to unscrew (counterclockwise). Now I have a spray arm that really wont do anything, and I can't get it out to replace it. These "simple repairs" are becoming quite difficult and are rapidly progressing beyond my abilities.
pennyaline  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 9, 2011 8:58:09 AM(UTC)
pennyaline

Hi again. Well, it's a couple of months later and I still need an answer. I've only been able to break off pieces of the spray arm, and it still only turns about a quarter of an inch counterclockwise while giving no indication that it's going to unscrew any further or lift up vertically or even come out at all. I can't get it out, but I've got to. It's got to be replaced. What is going wrong?
denman  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 9, 2011 12:34:33 PM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="DarkRed"]What is going wrong?[/COLOR]
I cannot say without being there.

Perhaps try starting a new thread with a good description of what you have done so far.
With luck someone else will see it and know what is happening and how to fix it.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply