Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ASaxena  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:32:00 AM(UTC)
ASaxena

Groups: Registered

My Maytag dishwasher's control pad is not working properly. Only some buttons light when pressed, and the start button will light but nothing happens. For cycles that do light-like heavy pots-the start button lights but nothing happens. My normal wash button-used the most-does not light at all.
I took out the control board and it looked okay. Nothing visibly wrong and covered in silicon or some clear insultating type material. The cables and wiring look okay too.
How can I determine if I need a new control circuit board or a new control pad? I am handy with a meter and can test for continuity. Also, can you help me with the right part numbers. I am getting conflicting part numbers for the board and pad.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jt246  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2011 4:02:36 PM(UTC)
jt246

asaxena

i had the same issue w/ same model dishwasher. The issue was the control panel. I ordered a replacement and my dishwasher (or should i say my wife's) dishwasher is working just fine.

I am surprised I had to replace the panel after only 1.5 yrs of use.

The install took about 30 min including removing the old control panel.

part# w10199784

best of luck.
ASaxena  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2011 7:12:39 PM(UTC)
ASaxena

Thanks, jt246. I am glad someone else has had the same problem!! Given the age of the dishwasher, I assumed the control pad had worn down. I would hate to order the wrong part so I would still like to know if somebody out there can tell me how to test the pad or board, so I order the right part.
Thanks again.
denman  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2011 7:39:45 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for MAYTAG MDB5651AWW DISHWASHER- UNDERCOUNTER | AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

And here is a service manual.
http://appliancedigest.c...shwashers-service-manual
You have to join the site to download the manual but it is free and this is a very good site for manuals and other info for the appliance repair DIYer.

The tech sheet has the keypad pinouts.
Look for common tracks on the keys that do not work.
Check the keypad and if it checks OK order a control board. Still a bit of a crap shoot but your odds are better.

Also you may want to try the following.
Connector Cleaning / Checking
Unplug the unit
Open it up
Remove the ribbon cable from the keypad to the control board at the control board.
Clean the edge connector.
If it is the type where there is not a connector just the insulation is removed, it can be cleaned with a pencil eraser. Do not use an ink eraser as it is too abrasive.
Check the tracks in the ribbon cable for hairline cracks. A magnifying glass helps here.
Would not hurt to clean the connector on the board. Use electronics contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol and a tooth brush. Be gentle and do not reconnect till all the solvent evaporates.
Reconnect everything and give it a try.

Note: If you do the keypad test/troubleshooting and order what you decide is the part you need then AppliancePartsPros will let you return the part if it does not fix your unit, see their return policy.
File Attachment(s):
MDB5651.pdf (614kb) downloaded 35 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
ASaxena  
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 20, 2011 8:50:20 AM(UTC)
ASaxena

Thanks, Denman. This is exactly what I needed. I will try the tests and then hopefully order the correct part. I will let you know how it turns out. Your information and tech sheet will be very helpful.
ASaxena  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 8, 2011 4:50:15 AM(UTC)
ASaxena

Originally Posted by: ASaxena Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, Denman. This is exactly what I needed. I will try the tests and then hopefully order the correct part. I will let you know how it turns out. Your information and tech sheet will be very helpful.

Sorry it took so long to respond, Denman and jt246. But I wanted to let you know that I ordered a new control panel (keypad) and all is well!! Thanks for your help.
ASaxena  
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 18, 2011 10:24:07 AM(UTC)
ASaxena

Originally Posted by: ASaxena Go to Quoted Post
Sorry it took so long to respond, Denman and jt246. But I wanted to let you know that I ordered a new control panel (keypad) and all is well!! Thanks for your help.

Hi Denman. Guess what....the same issue has popped up again. Tried running the dishwasher last night, and no response from the key pad. After killing the power to the unit, and fooling with the buttons, I got one light on the keypad to turn on. The dishwasher eventually started, but the normal lights were not on. The dishwasher started the cycle, and then just stopped. The "Done" light is also behaving erratically. Comes on and then does not go off for a while. Any thoughts? Why would the key pad go bad so soon, unless it was defective to begin with.... Please let me know what you think.
denman  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 2:17:32 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
It may well have been defective.

Did you find something wrong with the old keyboard before you replaced it?

Try reinstalling it, could be you have a bad connection.
This is a long shot.

There is also the possibility that the control board is blowing the keypad.
This is unlikely as it should not be able to do this but stranger things have happened.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
ASaxena  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 3:01:47 AM(UTC)
ASaxena

HI,
The old keyboard was indeed defective. I did the continuity tests indicated in the service guide and I realized the keyboard had some opens. I will try cleaning and reinstalling. I agree-long shot. Maybe the new keyboard is defective?
radiokrislee  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 16, 2013 7:41:15 PM(UTC)
radiokrislee

I have filed a class action lawsuit against Whirlpool for their faulty control panels in their Whirlpool and Maytag dishwashers. Please contact my attorney Eppsteiner & Fiorica Attorneys, LLP at 866.548.8857 and let them know if you own or owned a dishwasher with control panel failures.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply