Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Double J  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 10:26:47 AM(UTC)
Double J

Groups: Registered

Was told that the "computer or electronic" component is shot and it needs to be replaced. Quoted a price of almost $600 bucks. Saw part called "module control assembly" is this the same part? Saw it here for like 85 bucks wondering if I can do the job myself and save 500 clams.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

TechnicianBrian  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 11:29:07 AM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

Groups: Senior Expert

Wow, that seems like a lot of money for replacing a control board. The part you found on this site is indeed the control board you are looking for and yes you can replace it yourself.
Double J  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 11:52:25 AM(UTC)
Double J

Just heard back from the repair co. it needs both a module control assembly and a keypad assembly. I see 5 different ones listed under parts for my model. I guess I have to take the old one out and see if there is a part number on it to figure out which one I need, 600 still seems high.
TechnicianBrian  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 6:58:30 PM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

Oh now that makes a little bit more sense. The keypad for your dishwasher (AP3192286) is more money and of course makes the whole thing jump in price. You never mentioned what was actually wrong with the unit. Replacing the control panel and board by the service company seems to be taking a guess instead of actually figuring out which part has failed. You may need both parts, but not knowing what is wrong with the machine leaves me to speculate.
Double J  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2009 4:42:34 AM(UTC)
Double J

Here is what was happening... Set dw to normal wash and press start, can hear machine filling with water, but after that it would just stop. The light indicated that it was indeed washing but nothing was happening. It would continue through the rest of the stages without actually performing them. Would check it when completed and even the hot dry cycle would work at the end but the detergent was still at the bottom and everything was dirty. The only way I could get it to run was to interrupt it shortly after it did its initial fill by opening the door. I would open and shut the door until it began washing. You would know it was working because immediately upon the door closing you could hear it going through the wash cycle and then everything was fine. I would have to open and shut the door repeatedly until it finally kicked in. It actually seemed like the harder I shut it, the better chance it had of working. Called local repairman who came (I wasn't around) and said it needed those two parts. Since this is actually being covered by a home warranty, he suggested taking the 600 and putting it towards a new machine. I didn't think that was necessary still haven't made my decision.
TechnicianBrian  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:27:03 AM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

Based on your failure information, it sounds more like a door switch is your problem. If the control doesn't see the door closed as indicated by the actuation of the latch switch, nothing is going to happen. Repeatedly closing the door may eventually get it to shut properly. If you have access to a multimeter, you may want to verify the operation of the switch. The control module may still be the issue, but I am not seeing how the keypad could be part of the problem. Sounds to me like the technician figured he could inflate the estimate, get you to buy new, then he could complete the call as a refused estimate and take the basic rate from the warranty company. A little checking yourself an you may be able to still save some money. Unless you really wanted that new dishwasher.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply