Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nakris  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2009 2:03:15 PM(UTC)
nakris

Groups: Registered

Hi,
I have a Whirlpool SAU500W1. The lower spray arm is not spinning. If I try to turn it by hand, it bumps into a post sticking up from the upper pump housing assembly. There is some play (up and down) in the spray arm; if I lift up on it, I can rotate it freely.

This leads me to think that there is - or was - something like a washer that held the spray arm up higher that may have broken away.

I found the parts diagrams on this site and compared the relevant pieces, but I can't find anything missing.

Diagrams here, btw, and #4 is the pertinent one:
Model SAU500W1

I did not remove the pump housing assembly to check within it. I'm wondering if the spray arm itself should have had a washer that maybe was adhered to it and therefore not listed as a separate part? It's all metal, and I don't see any sign of leftover adhesive.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

nakris  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2009 10:15:03 AM(UTC)
nakris

Bump.

Anyone? Please? =)
TechnicianBrian  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2009 10:57:12 AM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

Groups: Senior Expert

Does it sound like the pump is moving any water, and does the tub fill with water? The spray arm will ride high and probably up and over that post when water is pumping through it so I don't think you have a washer of some sort that up and disappeared. I would guess your pump is not moving any water, or if it is, not under enough pressure to get the spray arm up and over the post. Verify you have water to the tub and that the pump is working, then get into the thing and see if you find anything that may prevent it from pumping water such as a broken impeller.
nakris  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 7, 2009 9:13:48 AM(UTC)
nakris

Originally Posted by: TechnicianBrian Go to Quoted Post
Does it sound like the pump is moving any water, and does the tub fill with water? The spray arm will ride high and probably up and over that post when water is pumping through it so I don't think you have a washer of some sort that up and disappeared. I would guess your pump is not moving any water, or if it is, not under enough pressure to get the spray arm up and over the post. Verify you have water to the tub and that the pump is working, then get into the thing and see if you find anything that may prevent it from pumping water such as a broken impeller.

Thanks much for the info, Brian. Sorry not to respond sooner, I didn't get an email notification from the forums that there was a response. I'll check that out. I'm thinking that if this is an issue of a pump, it's time for a new dishwasher. I think this one is more than 20 years old. Also, I'm just coloring by numbers here, looking at the diagrams and seeing if the parts are in the right places, but everything I saw before was moving freely with the exception of the post issue, which sounds like is not an issue at all. I'll check to see if there's water in the tub by starting a cycle and opening it during. And then go from there.

Thanks again.
TechnicianBrian  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 7, 2009 9:21:28 AM(UTC)
TechnicianBrian

Groups: Senior Expert

No problem. Give it a try and see what happens. If indeed it looks like a pump, a new unit may be the way to go simply for the energy efficiency of the new models, but those are personal decisions. Let us know if you need further assistance.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply