Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dave_S  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2009 5:16:15 PM(UTC)
Dave_S

Groups: Registered

I have the blinking light seven times issue. I need to test the heater circuit. I know how to use a multimeter, but unfortunately have no idea how to read a wiring diagram. I would like if at all possible to test the thing without removing it from under the counter. To test the heating element, I figured I would remove it from the dishwasher. From the diagram it seems that the heating element should just pull up out of the dishwasher. Is this correct? I don't want to force it and break the thing. How much resistance am I looking for?

If the heating element is not the issue, what is the next item I should check?

thanks in advance for the help. You folks provide a great service and I look forward to doing business with you.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2009 6:09:14 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Model Search

Here is the tech sheet
https://www.servicematters.com/d...0Sheet%20-%208535451.pdf

You do not have to remove the heater to measure it.
Remove the kick plate
Remove the wires from one side of the heating element
Measure across it, should be 10 to 30 ohms.

If OK, next would be the high limit thermostat
Remove the wires from one side of it
Measure across it, should be 0 ohms
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Dave_S  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2009 6:45:21 PM(UTC)
Dave_S

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I'm having trouble locating where to disconnect the wires from one side of the heating element it seams to me that the wires should connect behind the drain. To get at them I will need to pull the dishwasher out from behind the cabinet. Is this correct? If not (if I understand you correctly I'm wrong), which wires do I disconnect? is there a color or something I can look for to know I'm getting the correct one?
denman  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:28:43 AM(UTC)
denman

I'm having trouble locating where to disconnect the wires from one side of the heating element it seams to me that the wires should connect behind the drain. To get at them I will need to pull the dishwasher out from behind the cabinet. Is this correct?
Yes if you cannot reach them then you may have to pull the unit.
I believe the thermal cutout is near the front so measure that first, if it is an open circuit then you probably have found the fault..
Also you could measure from the Orange wire in the thermal cutout to the White/violet wire at the door switch

If not (if I understand you correctly I'm wrong), which wires do I disconnect? is there a color or something I can look for to know I'm getting the correct one?
It does not matter what side you disconnect. You are just trying to isolate the part you are testing from the rest of the circuit. This ensures that you are measuring just the part and not an alternate/parallel circuit path.
Dave_S  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2009 3:26:22 PM(UTC)
Dave_S

I'm getting 10.7 on the heater (measuring from the termianls underneath) and .5 on the high limit thermostat. Do I need the new thermostat? Is there something else I should check?
denman  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2009 6:14:38 PM(UTC)
denman

Yes if you look at the wiring diagram you will see the wire from the right hand side of the heating element goes up to one of the door switches.
Check this it should be 0 ohms when the door latch assy is closed.
Dave_S  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:31:38 AM(UTC)
Dave_S

To test this, I test between the wire attached to the heating element on the right side (while facing the dishwasher) and where? Do I need to open it up and get to the door switch?
denman  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2009 5:32:46 AM(UTC)
denman

I do not know where exactly these wires are physically located.

Yes you will have to remove the door liner to check the switch using the ohmmeter.

Another possibility would be to measure from the right hand side of the heater, white violet wire to a white wire under the unit if you can find a connection down there. Set the meter to AC volts 200 volt scale.
Place the timer in a heat mode and shut the door. If you get 120 volts AC then the switch is open and needs either adjustment or replacing.

The first option is probably easier.

Note from the look of it the wire colors are English above the wire and French below the wire.
hvacbk  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 13, 2009 8:14:06 PM(UTC)
hvacbk

Denman....
I wish I would have found this site earlier than I did. I had a problem with the clean light blinking 7 times on my dishwasher. The heating element was bad, I replaced it. Looking for the wires for the heating element, I must have unknowingly pulled the wires off the high limit. So, the light was still blinking 7 times even after trying to reset. Then we searched the internet and spoke with someone who wanted payment for his advice. He said the high limit was not an issue and advised to change the board. I did with no resolution. Finally, I found this site and read some of your previous posts. I checked the high limit and found the wire loose. I just wanted to thank you so much, your knowledge was very helpful. Still...only wish I would have found this site sooner, like $100 worth of parts sooner. lol.
Also, was wondering if you knew where I might be able to get a tech sheet for my Kenmore dishwasher, model no. 665.16039401? I'd appreciate any more help you can give.

Thanks so much.
denman  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 14, 2009 2:19:30 AM(UTC)
denman

This should be it
https://www.servicematters.com/d...0Sheet%20-%208535451.pdf

Thanks for the kind words, always nice to get a pat on the back.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply