Appliance Repair Forum

Appliance Repair Forum (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/)
-   Dishwasher Repair (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/dishwasher-repair/)
-   -   Whirlpool Gold Quiet partner III noisy (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/dishwasher-repair/22693-whirlpool-gold-quiet-partner-iii-noisy.html)

bowser 02-03-2009 06:29 PM

Whirlpool Gold Quiet partner III noisy

Our dishwasher began making a fairly loud noise recently while it is washing and rinsing. The dishes appear to be clean and undamaged once the wash has gone through its entire cycle. But the noise is quite loud and disconcerting. I have taken the parts out down to the scraper/screen assembly and cleaned them out but the sound persists. Any Ideas what might be causing the persistant noise.

youngking 02-12-2009 07:45 PM

Quiet Partner III Become Noisy recently

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowser (Post 60655)
Our dishwasher began making a fairly loud noise recently while it is washing and rinsing. The dishes appear to be clean and undamaged once the wash has gone through its entire cycle. But the noise is quite loud and disconcerting. I have taken the parts out down to the scraper/screen assembly and cleaned them out but the sound persists. Any Ideas what might be causing the persistant noise.

I have the exact same problem. Bought the dishwasher for about 1-1/2 years. Before it was really quiet. I doubt plastic nozzles inside are getting worn.

Gene 02-13-2009 05:11 PM

bowser,

Did you remove the chopper (#6 on the diagram) and check the shaft?

Gene.

Gene 02-13-2009 05:12 PM

youngking,

Did you remove any parts from the pump to check for a foreign objects inside?

Gene.

youngking 03-02-2009 08:00 AM

I have fixed my noisy Whirlpool Quiet III

Thanks Gene. there was no foreign objects in the pump.

I removed dishwash motor & its assembly and found there had been small leakage from the pump shaft to the motor bearing. The motor bearing close to the pump side was badly rustic. I cleaned and lubricated the bearing. It runs smoothly after lubricating.

I almost decide to change out the whole motor assembly. Luckily the bearing was not damaged, otherwise would cost $200 to have new motor assembly.

Gene 03-02-2009 02:34 PM

Did you fix the leak?

Gene.

bowser 03-04-2009 08:20 PM

I pulled the scraper assembly out, cleaned the screen, Removed the motor and pump volute assembly, removed the impellor and found a pile of corrosion/debris on the outside of the inboard motor bearing. I removed the bearing and found it to be dry and rough. I cleaned it up and repacked it but the bearing is too far gone so it still makes the noise. I am hoping to be able to get a replacement bearing and seal kit. Maybe I will have to buy the motor pump assembly. Any other thoughts. Bearing is an NSK 608D16.

Gene 03-05-2009 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowser (Post 67370)
...I am hoping to be able to get a replacement bearing and seal kit. Maybe I will have to buy the motor pump assembly...

Unfortunately Whirlpool does not sell just a bearing. You have to replace the whole motor assembly.

- The part number for the motor assembly is AP3179652

Gene.

bowser 03-10-2009 12:45 PM

I went to the local auto parts store where I live and gave them the bearing #and they found a match in an RBL roller bearing 6082RS, It cost $1.77, I used a propane torch to heat the alluminum motor housing a bit to get the old bearing and rotor out of the housing and I had to cut the old bearing off the shaft with a dremmel rotary tool. With the replacement bearing installed the motor runs smoothly and no more noise.

Gene 03-10-2009 03:52 PM

We are glad you were able to fix it. Good job.

Gene.