Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ssaunders02@charter.net  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 9:04:16 AM(UTC)
ssaunders02@charter.net

Groups: Registered

Anyone know how hard it is to replace the valve shaft seal on the GE dishwasher? Do I have to pull out the whole pump housing etc? I took the linkage parts off the shaft but I'm not sure how to get the seal out.
Thanks
S from WI
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2009 11:42:22 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here is your parts manual
Model GSD4320Z04BB

If I remember correctly just pull the Push on nut #415 off (note which way it is installed) then pull out the seal #417 and replace it.
Often the nut gets messed up getting it off so you have to replace it.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Crazy Larry  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 24, 2011 2:11:00 PM(UTC)
Crazy Larry

I have about 10 year old GE Dishwasher I replaced drain shaft "O-Ring and push on nut" #'s 415 and 417 as I had a leak at the drain shaft. A half hour job took me over an hour... Now that the leak has stopped, I replaced all the parts correctly I believe, my problem is that as a soon as the water fills inside the tub it then drains imediately out via the garbage disposal. once again I hear the water click on and seconds later it just drains back out. I was so happy I was able to stop the leak on the shaft with out having to buy a new unit. Please someone explain how do I change the unit from draining imediately!!!

Thanks in advance.

Crazy Larry....
denman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:38:27 AM(UTC)
denman

Are you sure yo re-assembled the solenoid etc. correctly?

The solenoid should be up for the wash position, down for the drain position.

Remove the spray tower and look into it.
You will see the wash/drain flapper valve to the left.
Then manually push the solenoid plunger down and let it release.
Does the flapper valve work?
Crazy Larry  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 6:31:16 AM(UTC)
Crazy Larry

I was trying to figure out where the flapper was you mentioned above.

I have a break down of parts here. see below.

Motor - pump mechanism replacement parts for General Electric GSD4320Z04BB Dishwasher | AppliancePartsPros.com

I did adjust the wire lever over the solenoid to the up position during wash cycle, it was a little tight in moving up & down so I gave it a quick squirt of "PAM" (cooking spray, I use it to lube everything ) it seemed a little smoother on up and down motion after that. I am praying that will solve the issue here. Thanks again...

Whenever you are in West Palm beach area I will buy you a Drink!!!
Crazy Larry  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:45:12 PM(UTC)
Crazy Larry

It is much better ( as soap would could be seen running down inside of the door prior that is how I figured it wasn't rinsing just draining instantly as it filled. And I was worried it would burn out motors without water.) I an hear water actually moving around during many stages of the wash cycle. But I noticed it is still draining ever so much during many of the wash cycles is that normal?

Maybe I didn't notice it before.
denman  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2011 6:41:51 AM(UTC)
denman

But I noticed it is still draining ever so much during many of the wash cycles is that normal?
No. May be a trickle but that would be all.

Sounds loke the flapper valve is still not sealing correctly.

Also in the mounted is a hole in the center of the flapper valve there is often a black rubber stop. When you looked down the pump throat did you see it?

If there was a hole then it is missing and that is where your leakage is.
Crazy Larry  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, January 26, 2011 8:46:29 PM(UTC)
Crazy Larry

Where is the ((flapper valve)) can you provide part number or where again I find this.... sorry I cannot figure where to look...'

((( flapper valve there is often a black rubber stop. When you looked down the pump throat did you see it?))))

The unit does not leak on the floor anymore thank godness it only drains via the proper means via the garbage disposal only more than nomal I think. Does a "normal unit" shoot water ou before the short wash cycle i drains most of the tank then refills again... Mine sort of drools after water enters the tank then it seems to stop..

It is functioning I just don't want to waste to much water with it haveing to fill up extra per load...

is the Flapper in side of the unit below the Spray or drain area?

Thanks again for your time..

LG
denman  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 27, 2011 1:25:39 AM(UTC)
denman

Part number: AP2616850
Part number: AP2616850

Click on the picture for more views and then on the center picture.
You can see the flapper with it's rubber stop down the throat on the left hand side.

Without being there I cannot really say if it is running OK.
In Normal I think it does a rinse then refills and does a wash.

Some water draining out would not be abnormal as it is the water pressur that is sealing the flapper in the wash position so once wash pressure builds up it should seal OK. I would not worry about it if the unit is doing a good job.

PS: I should have told you the following earlier but it is one of those things that I just do automatically and never think about it..
Whenever replacing seals, faucets handles etc and other plumbing parts I always give them a light coating of lithium grease. They seem to install easier. Also when you have to take something apart 5 years down the road they do not have a scale build up which can seize parts together.
Crazy Larry  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 4, 2011 5:49:51 AM(UTC)
Crazy Larry

Well today water there was water by the base of front of the dishwasher. I thought push nut came lose but not the case it seems dripping at the end of the wash cycle it is dripping out of the bottom of the large Black shape motor to the right of the seloniod (SP).... I placed a plastic / paper plate to catch the water for the time being. The unit is from 1996 is it time to bite the bullet and send her to Diswasher Heaven? The model is GSD 980X68XX I really do appricate your time once again...

Thanks again....

Crazy Larry
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply