Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
coomerguy08  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 12, 2011 5:11:10 AM(UTC)
coomerguy08

Groups: Registered

I'm having my SECOND draining issue with my HotPoint Dishwasher. About three years ago, my dishwasher stopped draining. After visiting this forum LAST time, I figured out that it was the solenoid that wasn't working. I replaced it and it's worked ever since. Until now. It's started to intermittently drain. As in, I run it once and it doesn't drain. I run it again, and it does. Sometimes, I just turn the dial to the beginning of a cycle and it will drain.

This problem seems different than last time, in that I hear the sound the solenoid makes when it clicks open. NORMALLY, that noise is followed up with the water draining. What seems to be happening is that the solenoid "clicks" and then the next cycle just starts . . . giving no time for the water to drain. Almost like the dishwasher is skipping the actual DRAINING cycle.

Is it possible that there is a problem with the dial? I was thinking that maybe it was an issue with whatever motor runs the draining . . . but why would it work sometimes and othertimes not? The dishwasher hadn't done the greatest cleaning job of late, so maybe I should just replace it . . . however money it a bit tight, and if I could easly fix this like last time for considerable less cost, I'd prefer to do that.

Any help from you all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 13, 2011 2:02:40 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for HDA3700GWW models | AppliancePartsPros.com

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Is it possible that there is a problem with the dial? [/COLOR]
I doubt it as it sounds like the wash/drain solenoid is pulling down.
Remove the kick plate and take a look to confirm this.
The way the drain works is that the timer activates the wash./drain solenoid for a couple seconds. This pulls the solenoid down, switching the flapper valve to the drain position. The water pressure then holds the flapper in the drain position till the unit is empty.
Sounds like you are not getting enough pressure.
Usually if it is a timer problem, it activates the solenoid for too long which causes the solenoid to overheat and melt the plastic in it.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I was thinking that maybe it was an issue with whatever motor runs the draining . . . but why would it work sometimes and othertimes not? [/COLOR]
There is only one motor in the unit dor wash and drain.
If it is washing OK then your motor is OK.
A common problem with these units is a bad Piston & Nut (Item 564 in Section 2). It is under the screen filter at the back of the tub. It unscrews.
What happens is that if it does not seal correctly water is directed back into the tub instead of out the drain.
I would start here.

Since you are working on it, I would also remove the sump cover (middle of tub floor) and check/clean out the sump. Take note of how the internal piece is installed. Re-install it wrong and the chopper will eat it. Also check for twist ties etc. wrapped around the chopper.
Be careful as there is often broken glass in the sump.

If you empty the sump to see better be sure to add a couple quarts of hot water to the unit before running it. These pumps will burn up the seals if run when dry.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply