Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pederl  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:16:25 PM(UTC)
pederl

Groups: Registered

When I start I can hear the dishwater fill up but then it will do nothing, and then after a few minutes it will drain, I have checked the hoses and the grinder, all is clear. Does the machine have more than one pump?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 11:22:53 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pederl Go to Quoted Post
When I start I can hear the dishwater fill up but then it will do nothing, and then after a few minutes it will drain, I have checked the hoses and the grinder, all is clear. Does the machine have more than one pump?

Pederl,

Yes,

Some WP dishwashers have a separate drain pump, but they all have a wash motor/pump assembly.

I get the impression that the motor never runs, no hum, no nothing, when it should be washing, correct ?

If you can get us a proper model number, we'll be more than happy to supply you with as much information as possible.

Thanks,

:) :) :)
pederl  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2011 6:52:32 AM(UTC)
pederl

I have a Model# GU1500XTLS3 and the pump motor is 8534942. You are correct that the sump pump will pump the water into and out of the washer but the cycle is silent. I have checked the motor with a meter and I get 5.2 resistance. I should get 0, correct.
Joe / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2011 9:28:02 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

I have a Model# GU1500XTLS3 and the pump motor is 8534942. You are correct that the sump pump will pump the water into and out of the washer but the cycle is silent. I have checked the motor with a meter and I get 5.2 resistance. I should get 0, correct.

Pederl,

Sounds like you tested the motor winding, you' d have a resistance reading, if you did it correctly. So you're on the right track.

Let's try and simplify this.

Disconnect the motor wire harness from the wash motor/pump, Program the unit to run and let fill,

1 or 2 minutes after the fill is finished, you need to check for 120 VAC from the purple wire in the harness to chassis ground. if the relay on the control board closes and the wiring is proper,you should have it.

That way we can isolate where the problem is, the control or the wash motor.

:cool: :cool: :cool:
pederl  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2011 9:34:47 AM(UTC)
pederl

So if I check the purple wire and ground, and I get 120VAC what is bad and what is good?
Joe / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 14, 2011 12:25:15 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

So if I check the purple wire and ground, and I get 120VAC what is bad and what is good?

Pederl,

If you have the voltage on the purple wire, your control board is working, your wire is good, and you'd have a bad motor.

No voltage on the wire terminal would indicate a broken wire or a bad K1 relay on the control board.

And once you determine where the voltage is or isn't you can determine which way / part you will need.

pederl  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:35:54 AM(UTC)
pederl

I'm sorry, I do not have a purple wire. If I start the dishwasher and wait for the cycle to start and I have disconnected the connector for the motor, can I check the voltage there (put one probe on the ground and the other in the connector?
Joe / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 10:32:45 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

I'm sorry, I do not have a purple wire. If I start the dishwasher and wait for the cycle to start and I have disconnected the connector for the motor, can I check the voltage there (put one probe on the ground and the other in the connector?

Pederl,

My diagram shows a purple wire, you may have a red/black ?

But yes, you can check the wire coming from the relay to the motor, to chassis ground for 120 VAC.

The readings and results should be the same.

pederl  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 12:27:04 PM(UTC)
pederl

The cycle needs to be running for a reading, correct?
Joe / APP Team  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2011 1:40:21 PM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

The cycle needs to be running for a reading, correct?

Yes, you have to unplug the wire harness going to the motor, re apply power to the unit and start a cycle, let it fill and wait 60 to 90 seconds. Then do the voltage test, on the wires in the harness, not the motor.

:) :) :)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply