Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
apeskate  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 6, 2011 4:40:13 PM(UTC)
apeskate

Groups: Registered

I've repaired several dishwashers in the past but this one has me baffled. My ADB1200AW has low spraying pressure. It seems to fill and drain fine. The tub is full and I even tried manually filling it. I took apart the insides and ran the unit, then quickly opened the door and I can see the the motor is turning the impeller. I inspected all the parts down there for cracks or leaks. There is not enough water pressure to spin the sprayer arms, only a little water will come out of the bottom sprayer in the first 30 seconds. After 30 seconds, I hear the motor running but there is no water spraying at all, even from the bottom. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 7, 2011 3:24:20 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts.
Replacement parts for ADB1200AW models | AppliancePartsPros.com

Have you checked that the impeller drive is not stripped.
It may be look OK without any water but is slipping when there is a load put on it.
There is usually a hole in the bottom of the pump/motor that will let you lock the motor armature so you can check that the impeller linkage is OK.

I am not sure if the following is exactly the same as your unit but it should be close.
16021814 Maytag Jetclean II Dishwashers Service Manual - ApplianceDigest.com
You may have to join the site but it is free and a very good site for DIYer appliance info.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
apeskate  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 7, 2011 9:16:03 AM(UTC)
apeskate

Thank you for the reply. I took everything apart again (for the 3rd time) to check the impeller drive again. The hex on the impeller and motor drive seem fine and the screw is not stripped. I was not able to lock the motor from the bottom so I removed the accumulator, reinstalled the impeller and held the chopper to verify it was not stripped.

At this point I am suspecting the motor, which probably means, whole new unit. What do you think? Anything else I could check?

For what its worth, I recently replaced the door handle but I can't see how that could affect it.
denman  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 7, 2011 9:53:01 AM(UTC)
denman

Here is the tech sheet for this unit, see the attachment.

The door switches should not be able to cause your problem.

You seem to have done a very thorough job of troubleshooting this unit.
So I have to agree with you that the most likely cause is the motor itself.

The only other thing I can think may cause this is the capacitor.
These are really hard to check as you cannot check them when there is a working voltage on them.

Checking it with a meter will tell you if it is a dead short and that it will take a charge but this is done at the low voltage of the meter.

With the motor being up around $200.00, I do not know if I would put that many dollars into the unit unless it is in excellent shape.
File Attachment(s):
ADB1200.pdf (252kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
apeskate  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 7, 2011 11:13:16 AM(UTC)
apeskate

Actually, it appears you were correct the fist time. With the accumulator removed and the impeller attached, I gave a tug up on the impeller. It came right out! Seems the plastic shaft is stripped where it attaches to the motor. Originally, I was only checking the opposite side of that plastic shaft where the impeller attaches. So I ordered the seal kit (number 9) and I think that will fix it. Thank you for saving me over $400!
denman  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 8, 2011 3:51:37 AM(UTC)
denman

You are welcome

And thanks for getting back to us. Now when others search for a similar problem they will see what actually worked instead of just suggestions about what could be the cause.
apeskate  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 11, 2011 5:10:04 PM(UTC)
apeskate

Installed the new part today and the dishwasher works great. I see the new part is metal while the old stripped part is plastic. Glad to see it is improved. Thanks again.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply