Appliance Repair Forum

Appliance Repair Forum (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/)
-   Dishwasher Repair (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/dishwasher-repair/)
-   -   Avoiding Electric Shock (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/dishwasher-repair/155538-avoiding-electric-shock.html)

fixitgirl18 12-27-2010 10:40 AM

Avoiding Electric Shock
 
I am about to replace the Control Board and maybe the Control Panel in my Maytag dishwasher since it stopped working. I am relatively new to appliance repair and haven't replaced too many parts that connect directly to an electrical source -- I replaced the rotors and belt in my dryer, but that wasn't connected to wires.

I want to make sure I do everything possible to avoid electric shock. I am shutting off the power source and the circuit breaker downstairs in my fuse box. I read someplace that appliances can "store" electricity. How can I make sure I don't get shocked? Should I buy a volt meter or something to absorb the electricity at my local hardware store? Please advise.

Joe / APP Team 12-28-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixitgirl18 (Post 322595)
I am about to replace the Control Board and maybe the Control Panel in my Maytag dishwasher since it stopped working. I am relatively new to appliance repair and haven't replaced too many parts that connect directly to an electrical source -- I replaced the rotors and belt in my dryer, but that wasn't connected to wires.

I want to make sure I do everything possible to avoid electric shock. I am shutting off the power source and the circuit breaker downstairs in my fuse box. I read someplace that appliances can "store" electricity. How can I make sure I don't get shocked? Should I buy a volt meter or something to absorb the electricity at my local hardware store? Please advise.

Fixit,

If in doubt ask, good Idea,

Once you've shut off the breaker, or unplugged the power cord you'll be safe,

Not all products store electricity, TV's, Microwaves, units with capacitors, Do.

So you'll be safe,with the power off.

If you have a problem or question, drop us a line, we're here to help.

Good Luck,

:) :) :)

fixitgirl18 12-28-2010 12:11 PM

In your response, you mentioned "units with a capacitator". I believe that the control panel is connected to a control board that has several capacitators (it's green and looks like the motherboard in a laptop). I need to touch the control board in order to hook up the control panel to it. Should I take any precautions? Could this board be a danger?

Thanks very much!

Joe / APP Team 12-28-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixitgirl18 (Post 323221)
In your response, you mentioned "units with a capacitator". I believe that the control panel is connected to a control board that has several capacitators (it's green and looks like the motherboard in a laptop). I need to touch the control board in order to hook up the control panel to it. Should I take any precautions? Could this board be a danger?

Thanks very much!

Fixit,

No,

There is no danger in you touching the control board, you will NOT get shocked.

The capacitors on this style control board bleed off the voltge quickly, by the time you turn the power off and dismantle the control panel, what little bit of voltage left in the capacitor, would have bled off.

Have at it, you should be fine.

:) :) :)

fixitgirl18 12-28-2010 06:10 PM

Thank you very much! I appreciate your help and advice :) :) :)

Fixitgirl

Joe / APP Team 12-29-2010 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixitgirl18 (Post 323361)
Thank you very much! I appreciate your help and advice :) :) :)

Fixitgirl

Fixit,

You're quite welcome,

That's what we do here, and it's a pleasure to assist and inform.

Like I said, drop us a line if you need more, and let us know how it went.

:D :D :D


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17