Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jim-bev  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 3, 2010 8:10:51 AM(UTC)
jim-bev

Groups: Registered

Washer was making grinding noise. Took system apart. Found lots of mineral (calcium, lime?). Manually cleaned as much as possible. Reassembled, started washer back up. Fills with water but will not go into wash cycle. Will drain when I hit the cancel/drain button. Disassembled and tried to move shaft of motor that the chopper assembly attaches to. It would not budge. Put back together and the same scenario again. Fills and drains okay. Any and all thoughts will be appreciated.
Jim
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

kayakcrzy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 4, 2010 3:09:36 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

Originally Posted by: jim-bev Go to Quoted Post
Washer was making grinding noise. Took system apart. Found lots of mineral (calcium, lime?). Manually cleaned as much as possible. Reassembled, started washer back up. Fills with water but will not go into wash cycle. Will drain when I hit the cancel/drain button. Disassembled and tried to move shaft of motor that the chopper assembly attaches to. It would not budge. Put back together and the same scenario again. Fills and drains okay. Any and all thoughts will be appreciated.
Jim

Jim, it sounds like you need a new motor. It sounds locked up to me. You would have to remove the dishwasher from under the cabinet to replace it. So you would have to shut the water off under the sink, and remove the water line from the water valve on the dishwasher. You would have to kill the power to the dishwasher, and remove the power wires from the diswasher power connections, and then unhook the drain hose from the garbage disposal under the sink, and then open the door of the dishwasher, and take the 2 screws holding it in place out, and remove the dishwasher. Once it is removed, lay it on it's back, and the motor will be right in front of you. Tom Appliance Educator, Appliance Parts, Washer and Dryer Parts, Refridgerator and Freezer Parts, Stove and Oven Parts
mariopapas  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 6:11:57 AM(UTC)
mariopapas

Hi, Jim I followed up your problem and it sounds like a main motor problem. The motor is $ 220 at least. You may consider retiring this machine. I am going to need you for few minutes to help me with my problem on my KUDS/KUDI kitchainAid: Can you do the following simple test for me and tell me what the control panel lights and display say ? Open the door and keep it open, while the door is open press these buttons slowly in the order shown: "High tempScrub, Air-dry, High temScrub, Air-dry" (one-by-one) and then see what the panel lights and numeric display say, then let me know, - Please don't close the door while you are doing the preceding things ; thanks:
Just for your info the 4-touch button sequence above puts your machine in a fault diagnosis sequence which may also help you narrow down the techn reason of the machine problem you are facing now ; If you need more info on this I will be able to help you.
jim-bev  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 7:36:01 AM(UTC)
jim-bev

Thanks for the above advice and information on my Kitchen Aid dishwasher problem. I removed the motor and did a bench test which showed the motor was locked up. Found a sizeable amount of rusty powder around the motor shaft. So considering the age of the machine I opted on total replacement of the dishwasher versus replacement of the motor. I found a floor model on sale and got even more of a discount due to a small ding in the door. So there is now a new Kitchen Aid where the old one was. Thanks again for everyones assistance.
Jim
kayakcrzy  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 7, 2010 9:47:21 AM(UTC)
kayakcrzy

Groups: Senior Expert

Originally Posted by: jim-bev Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the above advice and information on my Kitchen Aid dishwasher problem. I removed the motor and did a bench test which showed the motor was locked up. Found a sizeable amount of rusty powder around the motor shaft. So considering the age of the machine I opted on total replacement of the dishwasher versus replacement of the motor. I found a floor model on sale and got even more of a discount due to a small ding in the door. So there is now a new Kitchen Aid where the old one was. Thanks again for everyones assistance.
Jim

Sounds like, you got a great deal!! I just hope that the new Dishwasher is not the wife's Christmas gift!! If so you need to be looking for a Marriage Council Blog!! LOL!! Have a merry christmas!! Tom ApplianceEducator.com
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply