Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sritter  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2008 4:11:12 PM(UTC)
sritter

Groups: Registered

I have a Maytag wide-by-side Refrigerator that is just over 4 years old.

Every 4 or 5 minutes, it makes a buzzing/humming noise for about 15 seconds, and then goes quiet again. Some days it is barely noticeable, but it has become routine lately. The refrigerator and freezer seem to be cooling fine. Just very noisy every 4-5 minuites for 15 seconds or so.

The noise is coming from the back of the unit, on the lower right side as you face the back (the side where the ice maker fill line and power cord enter - behind the freezer side).

What do you think the problem is, and approximate repair cost?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

marunkel  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2008 12:24:51 PM(UTC)
marunkel

I have the same model,same age. It was also making the same noise on and off. Then without warning, I noticed it wasn't as cold anymore and my freezer started to defrost. I had to call a repair man to replace my defrost control. It cost me around $200. Now I have rust forming under my water dispenser. Replacing the door is costing me $300! What a piece of garbage! Funny how it all breaks down out of warranty.
libertyappl  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2008 12:35:03 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

If the noise is coming from the back of the unit, you probably need to slide the unit out, turn it off and clean the coil and fan underneath the unit. The most common problem is from dust buildup on the condensor fan.

Marunkel,
Was your unit frosting up in the back of the freezer? If not you probably didn't need a new adaptive defrost control (which is only about $65 today) so the service call charge in your area must be on the higher end.
Here's a door panel Panel, frz. Door (bl (black) - But you might try to call Maytag and complain, they might cover the costs of at least the part.....just a suggestion.
Hope that helps a little.

Nat
marunkel  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2008 12:42:46 PM(UTC)
marunkel

I have a door panel that Maytag graciously sold to me at half price ($50 higher than yours). Now that I have the panel off, I can't disconnect the wires and water hose on the door. A repair man, seeing an opportunity, is on his way over to replace it for us right now at a cost of $100. We are stuck unfortunately, thought it would be easy to exchange the panel and cannot find on online repair manual to save my life. Also, yes I did have frosting on the back of my freezer.
libertyappl  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 22, 2008 12:50:12 PM(UTC)
libertyappl

Groups: Senior Expert

I just volunteer what little I know on this site, not affiliated other than that. But this site does have some of the cheapest prices on parts. Which is why I try to give their part numbers.

The Maytag products, in my opinion, will be better from now on since Whirlpool bought them out.

Nat
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply