Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
777Eagle  
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 5:41:58 AM(UTC)
777Eagle

Groups: Registered

I just moved my parents into a condo. The dishwasher won't drain. I am not sure how long the dishwasher has been idle, but it is probably at least 3 weeks. Is it possible the drain seal is stuck? What is the best way to free it up?
Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 5:51:56 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
A model number may help others help you.

Without a model number I am doing a bit of guessing.
I am assuming that all else works OK and that it does not drain any water at all.

Remove the kick plate.
You should see a solenoid mounted on the left hand side of the pump/sump assembly.
This is the wash/drain solenoid.
Push it down, this is the drain position.
Check that it moves freely.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
777Eagle  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 5:57:56 AM(UTC)
777Eagle

I will check on the model number, and check the solenoid. thanks
777Eagle  
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 17, 2010 12:30:54 PM(UTC)
777Eagle

The model is GSD2200Z02AD. I removed the skirt and watched the lever go up and down during the cycles. I have to assume this is the opening of the valve for the discharge? I need to go back there tomorrow. I am going to remove the hose from the dishwasher to the drain and see if there is any blockage. Is there anything else I can check?
How can I tell if the pump is spinning when it is supposed to be discharging the water?
thanks
denman  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 18, 2010 1:59:43 AM(UTC)
denman

Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric GSD2200Z02AD Dishwasher | AppliancePartsPros.com

[COLOR="Blue"]I have to assume this is the opening of the valve for the discharge?[/COLOR]
Yes that is what it is doing.
Inside the pump assembly is a flapper valve.
The timer powers the solenoid for about 5 seconds for a drain cycle.
This pulls the solenoid down, the flapper valve moves to the drain position and then the water pressure holds the flapper in that position till the unit is empty. The springs on the solenoid mechanism then pull the solenoid/flapper back to the wash position.

[COLOR="Blue"]Is there anything else I can check?[/COLOR]
This sounds good to me.
You could remove the spray arm assembly and then manually activate the solenoid while also putting a little pressure on the flapper valve. You will be able to see the flapper valve. This will tell you that the flapper valve has not come loose from it's shaft. You may need two people to do this.
Also a good idea to remove the sump cover and check it for debris or something wrapped around the chopper. Be careful as there is often broken glass in the sump.
[COLOR="Blue"]
How can I tell if the pump is spinning when it is supposed to be discharging the water?[/COLOR]
If the unit is spraying water during the wash cycle then you know the pump is working.
You should hear the pump running during a drain cycle and see the motor's armature turning.
777Eagle  
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 1:59:19 PM(UTC)
777Eagle

I remove the hose and checked for blockage-none. I don't think the motor is turning. The water is entering the unit, but the arm doesn't move. I hear it filling, open the door, and the arm is still in the same place. Is the motor responsible for both moving the arm, and draining the water? I looked at the end of the motor, which I think is the shaft, and it does not appear to be turning. I tried banging the motor with a rubber mallet to see if it would move, but no change. The motor hums when it is supposed to be working, but I really don't think it is turning. Any ideas? Thanks,
denman  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 2:06:44 PM(UTC)
denman

Yes, the motor does both wash and pump out.

Remove the sump cover (center of tub floor) and check it for debris or something wrapped around the chopper.

Be careful as there is often glass in the sump.

Here is the parts breakdown
Replacement parts for General Electric GSD2200Z02AD Dishwasher | AppliancePartsPros.com
777Eagle  
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 3:18:27 PM(UTC)
777Eagle

It does get water in the tub, but the arm does not spin around. What causes the arm to spin?
denman  
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 24, 2010 4:49:10 PM(UTC)
denman

Pumping the water through it.
777Eagle  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 25, 2010 5:16:59 AM(UTC)
777Eagle

so if there is water getting in, but the spray arm isn't spinning, is it safe to assume there isn't enough pressure to spin the arm. The arm moves freely when the door is open

found screen at bottom of drain, with a metal arm that I assume will spin when motor is running. Cannot move this metal arm by hand. There is no blockage at this screen to prevent arm from moving, or from water exiting. I am thinking the motor is shot. Any suggestions? Should I be able to move this metal arm?

Is there any way to manually turn to motor to perhaps unfreeze it? It hasn't been used in quite some time.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply