Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wonderdog  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2008 4:49:42 PM(UTC)
wonderdog

Groups: Registered

I have a Whirlpool dishwasher that has seen light use for 16 years. It has developed a leak between the pump housing and the motor shaft, but only during draining. I ordered a new housing, shaft seal, and seat. I have been successful in removing the Disk and Mount Assy (Item 10), but I'm at a loss at how to remove the impeller and its keeper (the latter resembles a cylindrical grinding stone bonded to the shaft).

At the same time, there is considerable rust around the shaft where it enters the pump housing on the motor side. A spring clip seems to retain something there (two halves of the shaft?), but it's too rusted to tell how it fits together. Since this is the point of the leak, I'm wondering whether I'll be able to get a good seal even if I can install the parts I've bought.

A new pump and motor runs $145. Should I just pitch in for the whole assembly, or is it likely that I can repair this? If so, how do I get the impeller off? Or should I apply the $145 to a new dishwasher? This unit has been trouble-free, other than a water hammer that I've learned to put up with during filling.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.