Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
richappy  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 5:44:39 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
If you have the older style vertical motor with impeller and it will not come off, here is a procedure for this.
First thing, trying to torque the 1/4 inch screw off with a nut driver and vice grips is a bad idea, might just bust the screw off in the motor shaft.
Take a sharp wood chisel and gently pound down on the top edge of the impeller close to the screw. Crack it away from the shaft, then put penetrating oil on the screw and take it off. Works every time, just be careful not to pound down too hard, might damage the motor.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Admin / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:48:59 AM(UTC)
Admin / APP Team

Groups: Guests

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Moved to Dishwasher repair section and made it a "sticky" so that it always shows up at the top. Excellent advice, richappy!
chrisxx  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2009 6:10:18 PM(UTC)
chrisxx

Groups: Registered

richappy,

Saw your impeller removal advice but wish to remove the 1/4 screw, then replace after cleaning an obstruction. For that reason, I don't want to crack the rubber washer. I've had a specialized nut busting solution on it for three days now so perhaps that will help. Do you know if the screw is REVERSE THREADED? Is it removed by turning clockwise?

Thanks!
richappy  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2009 12:40:39 AM(UTC)
richappy

I have NEVER seen a left hand thread on these, turn it counterclockwise to loosen it.
DanielC  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2009 2:41:04 PM(UTC)
DanielC

Is there really no way to remove the impeller without destroying it?

I'm trying to remove the impeller so I can get to the screws under it that hold the filter in place, it's horribly clogged with hard-water build-up.
DanielC  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2009 5:09:52 PM(UTC)
DanielC

Nevermind. I did exactly what you said NOT to do and grabbed it with a pair of channel-lock pliers. The screw came right out. No problems. I guess I need to replace the filter though, doesn't seem like it can be cleaned...
richappy  
#7 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2009 6:19:16 PM(UTC)
richappy

You where lucky, it was not seized, most of them are. Sometimes, if you twist it back and for a few times it will come off without breaking off. It shows some ability on your part to sense that it will not break off, good job.
skibumintahoe  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:37:28 PM(UTC)
skibumintahoe

Groups ready for retrieval: Registered

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
You where lucky, it was not seized, most of them are. Sometimes, if you twist it back and for a few times it will come off without breaking off. It shows some ability on your part to sense that it will not break off, good job.

Ok, so I have a broken screw shaft on the impeller. It came that way when I bought it used.

What is the part number, if possible, without ordering the entire thing?

WHIRLPOOL | Model #GU1500XTKB0 | DISHWASHER | PUMP AND MOTOR PARTS | SearsPartsDirect.com

$150 is preposterous!
richappy  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:12:48 AM(UTC)
richappy

You got the wrong dishwasher shown on ref. parts at Sears. Re-post your model # in the box so we can easily look it up.
skibumintahoe  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:44:33 AM(UTC)
skibumintahoe

Groups ready for retrieval: Registered

Originally Posted by: richappy Go to Quoted Post
You got the wrong dishwasher shown on ref. parts at Sears. Re-post your model # in the box so we can easily look it up.

Nope, not the wrong dishwasher, perhaps the wrong thread. Section of parts, labeled #22. I don't want the entire motor assembly, just the very top part that screws onto the motor shaft.

If its cheap I'll try to fix it and donate it since I already ordered a new unit for delivery.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply