Discuss

Whirlpool/Kenmore dishwasher impeller replacement

in

Dishwasher Repair

. "

Yes, you have to bust the impeller off as it rusts to the motor shaft unless the shaft is stainless

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Dishwasher Repair » Whirlpool/Kenmore dishwasher impeller replacement

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

richappy is a name known to all

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Yes, you have to bust the impeller off as it rusts to the motor shaft unless the shaft is stainless steel. Once the impeller is off, you will see the flat on the shaft and you can put the wrench on it, no need to pull the motor.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 02-11-2010, 07:00 PM

simonboyce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by richappy View Post
Yes, you have to bust the impeller off as it rusts to the motor shaft unless the shaft is stainless steel. Once the impeller is off, you will see the flat on the shaft and you can put the wrench on it, no need to pull the motor.
OK - just to be sure we're talking about the same thing - I'm talking about a black plastic disk, which I believe is the top of the impeller - it's got a 6-sided raised ring that surrounds the bolt I'm trying to remove? I'm attaching a pic (can't remember if I'd shown you this before).

Thanks for all your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg impeller.jpg (298.6 KB, 289 views)
Old 02-12-2010, 01:31 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

richappy is a name known to all

Yes, just use a sharp wood chisel on it to crack it off.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:46 AM

STEVIEPOLL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonboyce View Post
OK - just to be sure we're talking about the same thing - I'm talking about a black plastic disk, which I believe is the top of the impeller - it's got a 6-sided raised ring that surrounds the bolt I'm trying to remove? I'm attaching a pic (can't remember if I'd shown you this before).

Thanks for all your help.
You do not need to smash the impeller.

If you have someone that can work with you, then you can undo the little bolt. Take off the steel cover from the motor at the bottom, i.e. on outside of the dishwasher. It is only 4 bolts. This then exposes the cooling fins of the motor. Your assistant can wedge a screwdriver into the fins from one side to the other. You can then work on the little bolt from inside the dishwasher. It will be tight, no doubt, so you may have to jiggle the bolt clockwise and anticlockwise alternatively. You should feel the bolt start to loosen off. Once if does, you can extract it. It is longer than you would think!

Once it is off, you can dislodge the plastic impeller with a screwdriver and remove the whole assembly, if you wish. Whilst the motor is out of the unit, run the bolt in and out of the central shaft a couple of times with vaseline. This will make it easier to re-install and easier to remove again, should you need to.

Worked for me; hope it does for you.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:38 AM

simonboyce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEPOLL View Post
You do not need to smash the impeller.

If you have someone that can work with you, then you can undo the little bolt. Take off the steel cover from the motor at the bottom, i.e. on outside of the dishwasher. It is only 4 bolts. This then exposes the cooling fins of the motor. Your assistant can wedge a screwdriver into the fins from one side to the other. You can then work on the little bolt from inside the dishwasher. It will be tight, no doubt, so you may have to jiggle the bolt clockwise and anticlockwise alternatively. You should feel the bolt start to loosen off. Once if does, you can extract it. It is longer than you would think!

Once it is off, you can dislodge the plastic impeller with a screwdriver and remove the whole assembly, if you wish. Whilst the motor is out of the unit, run the bolt in and out of the central shaft a couple of times with vaseline. This will make it easier to re-install and easier to remove again, should you need to.

Worked for me; hope it does for you.
Thanks - too late I'm afraid! Already smashed the impeller, but replaced the whole thing and so far seems to be working ok... It's a daft design, though.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:57 PM

D Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeon20 View Post
With the right side cover off the bike, look at the inside end of the impeller shaft. There you will see two ground flats that are placed there so the shaft can be held by a 12mm wrench while unscrewing the impeller from the other end. I usually insert a bolt in the case backwards to provide a place for the wrench to rest against so I can hold the case down against the bench with one hand, and turn the socket on the impeller with the other.

The impeller unscrews by using a socket on the hex built into it. It's advisable to use a six point socket to keep it from slipping. The threads are normal, right hand threads, so it unscrews counterclockwise, but it may seem very tight.
I dont know what dishwasher you are refuring to but its not mine!

The Hex built into the top of plastic impeller could be held steady with a socket and a strap wrench to loosen fastening screw, then impeller removed by lifting up, if possable! If not then you will have to crack it, then remove, that has allready been covered earler in this post.

Thanks for providing the info to the DIY'ers!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whirl2.jpg (54.9 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg whirl3.jpg (44.0 KB, 195 views)
Old 07-12-2012, 12:21 PM

homer1960 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonehouse View Post
I've gotten to the same point at the previous post. How to hold other end to remove 1/4 bolt. I need a new idea.
Try cordless impact works great
Old 09-22-2012, 10:46 AM

Swen is on a distinguished road
Default Impeller and chopper removal and temp filter fix

Definitely, a cordless impact driver with a 6 point 1/4" bit is the ticket to removing the impeller bolt. Gently grip the large hex on the top of the impeller with a pair of slip joint pliers and brrrratttt the screw comes up (counter clockwise). Then using the pliers pull the wash impeller straight up. It should slide fairly easy. The tougher part after removing the strainer assembly is removing the drain impeller. This also slides on (not screwed) to the motor shaft but corrosion inevitably builds on the shaft and prevents easy sliding. Don't try to pry it up as it could cause damage to the pump base below. This is where the chisel method as described above works great. If yours is like mine, about 10 years old, the plastic should crumble pretty effortlessly. On reassembly be a bit meticulous on removing the shaft seal that is just below the drain impeller as it will probably rip apart into it's individual pieces, ripped rubber boot, spring and washer base.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...5A8BAE7131!196
I recently experienced this when the pump started to whine like something was stuck in it. I noticed after taking off the spray arm assembly that the nylon mesh filters on the drain filter assembly were coming apart so lord knows what junk got through into the pump. I ordered parts (impeller repair kit and drain filter assembly) and unfortunately the filter assembly was back ordered. Without getting any notification from the vendor I was in a pickle on Friday when only one of the parts (impeller kit) arrived and I had to fix the dishwasher that weekend before I went away on business the next week. You can imagine what my wife had to say.

So I improvised on a temporary repair of the filter assembly with a hot glue gun! The nylon screens that make up the filters on the part can be repaired with hot glue. The part must be dried off (with time or accelerated with a hair dryer) then with a fully hot, hot glue gun squeeze a glue stream by moving the tip forward (leaving glue behind.) This allows the glue to penetrate the mesh and create a bond with the filter frame. I even did this in successive steps with a mesh window whose corner was ripped and hanging halfway down in the frame. Needless to say I'll look forward to the new part arriving next week.

Last edited by Swen : 09-22-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 11-12-2013, 03:21 AM

rodikaenderson is on a distinguished road

Wish to remove the 1/4 screw, then replace after cleaning an obstruction. For that reason, I don't want to crack the rubber washer. so grabbed it with a pair of channel-lock pliers. The screw came right out. No problems. I guess I need to replace the filter though, doesn't seem like it can be cleaned.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:18 PM

alina1grace is on a distinguished road

Yes don't crack that rubber washer other wise it will never be in its previous condition.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.