Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
houseofshaw  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 2, 2010 5:00:46 AM(UTC)
houseofshaw

Groups: Registered

Dishwasher didn't clean very well last time I ran it. Discovered Heating Element had broken into 2 pieces. Have a new one on order from this site(for plastic tub). My question is: might there be something else wrong (not just the heating element)? I don't know how the dishwasher is programmed. Does it test for continuity (or a ground, etc.) through the heating element when running a cycle, causing the dishwasher to end its cycle if it doesn't pass that test (therefore dishes were not clean)? The pre-wash detergent had been used after I ran it, but the normal wash detergent was still in its container, & the little flip door was still closed. Last time this happened, I switched from a dry detergent to a gel detergent, & things worked fine after that.

Also, any tips on heating element replacement procedure? Looks like there's 2 nuts under the tub I will have to access. Do these just unscrew, put new element in, screw nuts back on? I take it I'm going to have to pull the unit out from under the cabinet to do this?

One more question: is there a better way to replace the upper & lower racks without spending $300 plus? Mine are disentigrating. Might as well buy a new dishwasher if I have to spend this much.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Irishflyer  
#2 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 7:11:42 AM(UTC)
Irishflyer

I have the exact same problem! My whirlpool element just broke as well. Ordered the part today. When it comes i'll post back to tell you how easy/difficult it is to install. good luck!
houseofshaw  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 9:45:01 AM(UTC)
houseofshaw

I successfully replaced the heating element. I did have to pull the dishwasher out to access the big plastic nuts holding the heating element down. Ran a wash cycle after replacement, and everything seems fine. Detergent was completely used, and dishes were clean.
Irishflyer  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 3:48:38 PM(UTC)
Irishflyer

Thanks for the info Houseofshaw. Did you replace the washers as well? or Nuts? Doesn't sound too hard too replace than. Puts my mind at ease! Thanks Again and good Day!
houseofshaw  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 6, 2010 8:41:17 PM(UTC)
houseofshaw

The heating element came with new rubber washers. Used the existing nuts - they were fine. Pretty easy fix, overall. Next up is to figure out what the horrible grinding noise is on draining cycle. From the posts on this site, sounds like a piece of something stuck in the sump area, next to the grinder perhaps. It's always something.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply