Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
spicknan  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 5:54:44 PM(UTC)
spicknan

Groups: Registered

Hi Experts, my Hotpoint won't drain(there are no sounds to indicate that the sump is running). I have cleared the main hose to the below the sink drain and am not sure how to continue. Any and all help is greatly appreciated, Cheers!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

revndave  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 6:42:47 PM(UTC)
revndave

Motor may be froze.Take off kick panel and turn motor clockwise with a screw driver on cooling fins at end of motor.:) UNPLUG UNIT FIRST:)
denman  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 3:17:45 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for General Electric HDA3400G02WW Dishwasher | AppliancePartsPros.com

[COLOR="Blue"]Hi Experts,[/COLOR]
I do not consider myself an expert so do not bet the farm on my suggestions.

[COLOR="Blue"]my Hotpoint won't drain(there are no sounds to indicate that the sump is running). I have cleared the main hose to the below the sink drain and am not sure how to continue.[/COLOR]

From the above, I get that the unit will do a wash cycle but there is no draining and the motor is not running when it should during the drain cycle.

My guess would be that the timer or the select switch is shot.
I cannot find a wiring diagram for this unit, GE likes to keep all tech info a secret. On many units the timer contacts for the motor in both wash and drain are the same so if it does wash I doubt it is the timer. Try different cycle types to see if it will drain.
Hopefully someone else will jump in with info on this units timer wiring and timer sequence chart.

The way the drain works is that there is a flapper valve in the pump assembly, it directs the water up to the spray arms during wash. Then it's solenoid is activated (pulls down) for a couple seconds at the start of the drain cycle. The water is then directed out the drain and the flapper is held in this position by the water pressure. When emptied the springs on the solenoid pull the valve back to the wash position ready for the next fill.

NOTE: if you gave removed all the water from the sump when troubleshooting be sure to add a couple quarts before running the unit. These pumps can ruin the seals if run while dry.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Brevard Appliance Repair  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 5:10:42 PM(UTC)
Brevard Appliance Repair

Groups: Expert

Sounds like the motor is frozen to me. Take the bottom panel off and turn the motor blandes until it is free most of the time they will free but sometimes they just won't come free. The motor jams from not being used a lot it is very very common with ge dishwashers and ge makes hotpoit as well...hope this helps good luck
spicknan  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 7:11:29 PM(UTC)
spicknan

Hi All,

Thanks for the help; Denman, you are correct in assuming that the washer does a wash cycle. Brevard, I haven't spun the motor because I assume that if the wash cycle works then the motor must be pumping water in. With these things in mind I'll begin to evaluate the pump assembly. I can already see that from the outside, the solenoid and flapper work appear to function normally by hand motion.
Could the solenoid be shot, therefore failing to initiate the flapper into the drain position? I'll try to have a look inside.

Thanks again for the help,
Noel
spicknan  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 8:58:40 PM(UTC)
spicknan

Hi All, Thanks for the help which will certainly come in handy in the future.
The dishwasher works fine, I believe that it was never malfunctioning in the first place. I'm a first time landlord and am not quick to blame my tennants but it's likely that someone put either far too much detergent in or used the wrong type completely, thus overflowing and the appearance of a failure to drain. Sorry to have taken up your generous time but rest assured that the information given will be used in future repairs.
Thanks again,
Noel
Brevard Appliance Repair  
#7 Posted : Saturday, July 10, 2010 12:36:55 PM(UTC)
Brevard Appliance Repair

Groups: Expert

I would still lean towards the motor was frozen...it might have just worked it self lose from you when you kept trying it. It will still do the wash cycle when it is frozen pump just won't drain but anyways it got it working so good job
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply