Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jhillman  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 12:42:33 PM(UTC)
jhillman

Groups: Registered

I learned on this forum that my missing spin cycle would probably be resolved by replacing the clutch assembly. I picked up a new assembly yesterday and installed it last night. I was pretty confident the issue would be resolved when I saw the condition of the old assembly. The clutch band was bent near the clutch spring, and the brake cam driver was broken. I put everything back together and a dry run confirmed that the spin cycle was back.

I loaded it up with probably too much laundry and started the wash cycle. When it got to the spin cycle I opened the lid and it wasn't spinning. I figured some unknown problem was causing the clutch to fail, but when I took it all apart again this morning, the clutch assembly, including the brake cam driver, all looked just fine.

I used this video for instruction on how to do the repair:

YouTube - Washing Machine Clutch Replacement Whirlpool and Kenmore (part #285785)

The one part that didn't seem consistent with my experience happens at about the 2:30 mark in the video. The video shows the new brake cam driver being secured in place with the c-clip. It is hard to tell for sure from the video, but it looks like the brake cam driver is snugly held in place. When I put mine back together, there is some play between the brake cam driver and the c-clip; I can move it up and down and back and forth. Could this possibly be part of my problem? It sure seems like things should be pretty solid down there.

Any advice would be appreciated; my wife just left for the laundromat for the first time in 7 years. :(
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.