Discuss

Kitchenaid 6 qt professional

in

Blender Repair

. "

I have a Kitchenaid 6 qt professional. The upper assembly came loose recently. I removed the top cover, and the

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Blender Repair » Kitchenaid 6 qt professional

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 05:47 PM

dermatoian is on a distinguished road
Default Kitchenaid 6 qt professional
Brand: Kitchen Aid   Age: 5 - 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

I have a Kitchenaid 6 qt professional. The upper assembly came loose recently. I removed the top cover, and the transmission housing so that I could remove the motor, I was then able to access the three screws that hold it in place and tighten them. Last week it came loose again. I again removed the transmission housing and motor, removed the screws, this time cleaned all grease from them and the threads in the base, and tightened them again. When I reassembled it, and tested it, the planetary fell about an eighth of an inch. Everything seemed to work fine, there were no funny noises, but it is hanging down lower, and there is now a 1/8" gap between the planetary and the lower deck. I opened it up again and looked at the transmission, and the snap ring is in place above the bevel gear, but there is play in the assembly and I can push it up and down that 1/8". Can the shaft have slipped partially out of the planetary, giving it that play?

After my initial post, I pulled down on the planetary again in frustration, and it came right off. I inspected the inside of it, and found a few metal shavings around the casing, and it looks like the top of the gear may have rubbed on the underside of the lower gear case. That did not seem to be directly connected to my problem at the moment, so I cleaned the shavings out and continued.

I cleaned some grease out of the well where the shaft compression connects into the planetary. I then lightly cross scored the shaft with 600 grit sandpapers, and lightly scored the inside of the compression fitting. I used a large wood clamp to press it back on, and it seems on there tight.

I reassembled, and it works, but I can now feel that the top of that gear once again is rubbing on the underside of the lower gear case. If I try and press the shaft on any tighter, that will make the new problem worse. I only considered that because there is about a 1/16" gap between the bottom of the lower gear case and the top of the planetary. It seem that there should be no gap, but now I have competing problems.

Last edited by dermatoian : 06-11-2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: More information
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.