View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 04:38 PM

JAMES MUNN is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up KITCHAID Microwave - Replacement of Door Handle

to MarkJ

Installation: The instructions which come with the part say "simple installation". While this is far from accurate, if you show a little patience and care you can save $$ on installation charges. The door assembly parts are what I call a "press fit". If you carefully force the issue by gradually working a thin screwdriver along the edge of the assembly, you will be able to separate the inside of the door frame to expose where the handle is actually attached to the outside of the door. The exploded assembly drawing is accurate in terms of the components/pieces involved.

I would also caution you to take care with the position of the glass. Once you remove the rear frame section, the glass may fall out of position. The method they used to retain the glass was poor at best. Now that I am aware of this, I would know to watch out for this event! I avoided breaking glass, but the reverse could have easily happened.

The design engineer DID NOT have the average home do it yourselfer in mind on this handle. There are also a number of ways they could have constructed the handle to avoid this flaw.

Good luck!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17