There are two legs of power coming to the heating element. L1 (120 VAC) is coming trough the door switch and the timer. L2 is coming through the motor centrifugal switch.
The situation you described is VERY DANGEROUS! It could lead to a fire and burn you house to ashes!
You must stop to use the dryer and UNPLUG IT until it's fixed.
You have to check the heating element for the short to the ground, the motor centrifugal switch and the door switch.
We need the complete model number of the dryer for any further assistance.