I have a 2001 Kenmore 21' Bottom Mount Refrigerator (model # 596.71104101) (M14-71104)
I woke up one morning to find everything in the freezer defrosted and mushy. The fridge compartment was also warm.
1. I checked the breaker and power to the unit. All checked out, there is power to the unit, the lights and fans are on.
2. Checked the cold control dial located in the freezer compartment. All checked out. Switch was set to "4" (same for in fridge compartment)
3. Tested the cold control to ensure fans turn off/on. All checked out fine. Fans in freezer/fridge and at the back for the condenser are on.
I did notice the compressor was not making any sound.
4. Checked the defrost timer. Advanced the dial for a click, (in to defrost mode) then click again (out of defrost mode) still no sound from compressor, fans did turn on when out of defrost mode. While I was checking the timer, I also cleaned out all the dust and dog hair from the condenser coil. Perfectly clean!
5 Listened to the defrost timer when I clicked it out of defrost mode. No ticking sound. I thought the timer may be bad, so replaced the defrost timer with new timer. Even with new timer, no compressor sound.
6. Opened back of freezer to have a look at evaporator coil and defrost heater. No frost, ice or water of any kind seen.
7. Checked defrost thermostat for continuity with multi meter. (tested with ice water) No continuity, so I replaced the defrost thermostat.
Still, no compressor sound.
8. while looking in the freezer, I noted the ice maker was corroded. Replaced ice maker unit. I had also noted earlier, before freezer failure, ice was
"hollow". At this time I also tested the water intake valve at the back of the unit. No continuity. I will replace the intake valve once I get the freezer working.
Also while in freezer, noted the door gasket was not making a good seal. Replaced the freezer door gasket.
Going back to the BACK of the unit. I noticed that there is a Supco 3 n' 1 start replay on the compressor. Checked online on how to test the starter and compressor for continuity and ground and ohm- this part confused me! I tried testing the C, S and R and windings etc... ugh....
Not sure. SO.... I replaced the Supco starter with a new one, just exactly as the old.
Still, no compressor operation. More looking online. Maybe the COLD CONTROL thermostat in the freezer is bad? If I understand correct, this part controls power to the compressor.
I have spend just over $300 on parts to try and get this fridge going. What am I missing? Do I just have a worm out compressor? Any suggestions and help? Thanks soooo much!