Thanks for your reply,
The outlet only had 120V on one side, the other had 18V. Went down to the breaker and it had 120 on both legs??
Noticed that the black wire was a smaller gauge wire than the red. Looked closer at the rest of the breakers and found that the single breaker below the dryer breaker had a larger gauge wire in it.
Traced the wire and it was for the dryer cicuit. Swapped the wires and now dryer has heat. Whats strange is that the dryer always worked OK and you can tell by the bends in the wires in each breaker, that they have never been touched.
Don't know why this problem developed now. Anyway, thanks for your help, fixed this one without any parts!