Compressor not starting
Model Number: 106.54383300 Brand:
More than 10 years
I ordered an overload relay kit. The part received and the part present on the compressor are definitely different and I have no instructions on how to use the "new design" from the manufacturer. However, I can figure out what goes where and how to wire it up. The capacitor actually plugs into the old piece and would have to be wired to the two terminal that connect to the round plugs that attach to the compressor on the new one. In other words I would have to make two new wires to make this connection. One of the power wires (white I think) goes to the black piece and the hot (red) will plug into the white piece AFTER the connector is cut off and new ends added to the power wires. Both the black and white piece plug onto the compressor with no problem. I have not installed the new pieces. (DISCLAIMER: This wiring has not been confirmed by a professional technician)
However, the old one piece unit measured 5 ohms and is not way blown like many of the pictures I have seen. I took it apart and examined it inside. I suspect the old one piece unit may be ok.
My parents are on a fixed income and we are unable to pay for a repair man to come and fix the fridge for them as they are (in regards to our budget) very expensive. Worth every penny, but out of our cost range.
Therefore, here is what I noticed this morning. . .
1. Plug in the unit
2. The compressor fan begins to turn slowly after about 5 seconds
3. A slight and faint hum comes from the compressor with NO vibration
4. After a few seconds a click and the hum stops
5. The compressor never gets hot or tries to hum again unless it is unplugged from the wall and plugged back in.
6. I unplugged the capacitor and the symptoms did not change at all when the unit was plugged in.
I measured the compressor again. The terminals are in a Triangle and looks to be upside down. The top two are side beside each other with the one on the bottom by itself.
1. across the top two pins it is 9 ohms
2. from the bottom to the top right is 5.6 ohms
3. from the bottom to the top left is 3.6 ohms
1. Are the coils in the Compressor OK?
2. What symptoms "could be" present if the capacitor was bad?
2. What symptoms would be present if it was out of Freon?
Thank you for your patience and time. You advice is deeply appreciated!