View Single Post
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-14-2009, 04:05 PM
Hearthman Hearthman is offline
Fireplace Expert
APP Volunteer
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philly
Posts: 19
Hearthman is on a distinguished road
Exclamation fire hazard

It depends upon the amperage draw of the appliance. If this isn't stated, look for a wattage rating. Watts equal volts x amps. A light duty cord will heat up from a high amperage draw and cause a fire! Do NOT use appliances on that cord. They make special heavy duty appliance cords but you still have to run the calculations. You also need to know what amperage rating the breaker/ fuse has for that circuit. That means tracing the circuit back to the distribution panel. You could also have improper wiring so again, you really need an electrician in there. Talk to the landlord. If he balks, talk to the Fire Marshal. He'll force them to get it fixed.

Current codes call for two 20 ampere ground fault protected appliance circuits in the kitchen separate from the refrig., lighting and other appliances. See what you can do about getting an electrician in there before someone dies in a fire.

HTH, Hearthman
__________________
Keep the fire in the fireplace.
Reply With Quote
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17