Thank you for the reply. I used the service manual to open up the lid of the dryer. I found the source of the smell, sulfur in nature, coming from one of two sensors (or fuses, can't really tell which). I've attached images of it removed.
Originally Posted by denman
It looked fresh from the package. The wiring as well showed no signs of burning. The burning smell was throughout the dryer's interior.
I would check the new heater assembly with a meter.
Also check that it's coil is not grounded (touching the case). Disconnect it and measure all contacts to the case, all should be infinite ohms.
The location of the arcing/burning will not necessarily be at the heater itself.
Since you had arcing and a burning smell there should be some evidence of this. Could be weld marks, bubbled wire insulation, etc.
I would look at the unit's terminal strip first. Then you will have to work your way through the unit. Hopefully the control board will check OK.
If you do find a problem area be sure to clean/check this carefully.
That it heated here is an indication of a bad connection (resistance in the connection). As current flows through this connection it will heat up, which makes the connection worse, which causes more heat etc, etc, etc. until the connection fails in the future.
Like I said, the part looks brand new. There is no charing on the heater.
How could this go, if it is indeed the problem?
The dryer worked fine, then stopped blowing hot air. When the heater was taken out, it had broken springs etc. So, a brand new replacement heater can blow a fuse? Or was it just blown when the heater went? But if that's so, then why did the fuse arc and smell after turning on the heater?